#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    14

    Opinion on which CMS to use


    I have some experence on websites. Wordpress, PHP Nuke and Post Nuke. I`ve done 3 websites in the past.
    I want to make a fishing website in which to teach fishing technics, review new products and have a community forum. Much like these sites...

    Crappie.com

    Iowa Outdoors

    Eventually I would like to integrate affilitate advertising to make myself a buck or two while continuing learning website development.
    Wordpress looks to be a good choice, but I am not a blogger at this time.
    Any info from someone who has already been in my shoes?
  2. #2
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    A Land Down Under
    Posts
    2,101
    Rep Power
    1990
    I've used Wordpress for a lot of sites now, and none of them are blog sites. A good percentage of them have an area for "Latest News" or something similar but that's really it. With the 'Pages' in Wordpress it is a pretty good entry-level CMS system that will do the job for 99% of smaller websites around.

    Moving up past that there's other systems like Drupal and Joomla! as well as the Nuke family that you've mentioned. There's a lot more around, and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses so it mostly depends on what you feel comfortable with and what can suit your needs into the future.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    4
    Every CMS have their own benefits and drawbacks in compare of each other so it is depend on your requirements, which is best for your use
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    0
    In this topic i am agree with bryanbell that its depend on your requirement. but according to me joomla and word press is good.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    14
    Originally Posted by samdorjay
    In this topic i am agree with bryanbell that its depend on your requirement. but according to me joomla and word press is good.
    Ok, then here are my requirements. YOU can make a call of what CSM might fit the bill.

    1. My site will have a community forums.
    2. I will be posting how to articles and articles relavent to fishing. And at some time members will be able to post articles.
    3. I want an area for members to post their pics and videos.
    4. Ability for members to blog.
    5. Ability for members to post journals. Is this the same as their blogs?
    6. Maybe a chat area or shoutbox.
    7. Want the ability to use affiliate programs to make a few bucks while I expand my web design ability.

    These prerequisites might change because at the moment, my site is only in the thought process.
    Keep in mind I have only worked with Nuke products and Wordpress to this date. Joomla and Druple are the first two CSM`s I`m considering, but I`ve poured over hundreds of themes at least for Nuke, Wordpress and Joomla and havent found anything that looks interesting to me. And I`m limited in what I know in HTML.
    Looking for anything with earthy colors. I have some pics that will work for my header.
  10. #6
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    A Land Down Under
    Posts
    2,101
    Rep Power
    1990
    With a list like that it's going to be hard to find an all-in-one CMS that will do it all straight out of the box. Most of them will do two or three of the points that you're asking for, but not many will do more then that.

    Seeing as how you want a community forum, blogs and more, I'd suggest that you look at VBulletin. That's what this forum runs off and even though itdoes cost money to buy, the full CMS version should do what you want it to. That will also give you some support if you have any problems.

    If you want to go for free software, there's PHPBB that can do the forums, and Wordpress has a lot of plugins and addons that can give it basic forums and other features, so I'd think about that as well. I have to say that I haven't used Joomla! before, and I haven't had to touch Drupal since about version 4 so I'm a bit out of touch with what those two can do.
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    14
    Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    With a list like that it's going to be hard to find an all-in-one CMS that will do it all straight out of the box. Most of them will do two or three of the points that you're asking for, but not many will do more then that.

    Seeing as how you want a community forum, blogs and more, I'd suggest that you look at VBulletin. That's what this forum runs off and even though itdoes cost money to buy, the full CMS version should do what you want it to. That will also give you some support if you have any problems.

    If you want to go for free software, there's PHPBB that can do the forums, and Wordpress has a lot of plugins and addons that can give it basic forums and other features, so I'd think about that as well. I have to say that I haven't used Joomla! before, and I haven't had to touch Drupal since about version 4 so I'm a bit out of touch with what those two can do.
    I already had in mind to use PHPBB for my forums.
    Individual blogs and journals are not a nessesity, I`ve seen them on other similar sites and thought it would be a great way to get the members involved, but doesnt have to happen at least for now.
    Pretty sure VBulletin isnt cheap and I dont know of it`s features, but for now I will keep that CMS off the table.
  14. #8
  15. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    A Land Down Under
    Posts
    2,101
    Rep Power
    1990
    Well, the price depends on your definition of "cheap". The publishing package is $295 per site, and to me that's a pretty reasonable price. The main thing that you'd consider is how much your time is worth, and how long it will take you to set up each different area. If you're doing this in your spare time and don't have any real deadline for it, then it'd be a good experience to set it all up using the free open-source components. However if you want it faster, don't want to spend hours on end trying to get each system working with each other, and theming/skinning each different area of the site, then spending a bit of money can seem well worth it.

    This is coming from experience. I have had clients that insist that insist that I had to use the free software because it was cheaper. In the end it ended up costing them between 2 and 10 times more to use the free software because of the amount of customisation that was involved.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    14
    Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    Well, the price depends on your definition of "cheap". The publishing package is $295 per site, and to me that's a pretty reasonable price. The main thing that you'd consider is how much your time is worth, and how long it will take you to set up each different area. If you're doing this in your spare time and don't have any real deadline for it, then it'd be a good experience to set it all up using the free open-source components. However if you want it faster, don't want to spend hours on end trying to get each system working with each other, and theming/skinning each different area of the site, then spending a bit of money can seem well worth it.

    This is coming from experience. I have had clients that insist that insist that I had to use the free software because it was cheaper. In the end it ended up costing them between 2 and 10 times more to use the free software because of the amount of customisation that was involved.
    I agree that VBulletin would be the best choice here. I`ve only created a few websites so far and this one I have in mind now is only in thought process for now. If after all my research is done and I "really" want to make the site im considering doing I might take the plunge.
    Another question here would be if it would be worth the $$$ to compete with a few other sites on this topic that I like. I`m worried that if I spend the money I might not get the traffic I would like then therefore my site wouldnt be worth the cost.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0
    In my opinion for create simple website Wordpress is the best and for create ecommerce website for online selling Magento ecommerce is the best.
  20. #11
  21. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    A Land Down Under
    Posts
    2,101
    Rep Power
    1990
    Originally Posted by YoMoma
    Another question here would be if it would be worth the $$$ to compete with a few other sites on this topic that I like. I`m worried that if I spend the money I might not get the traffic I would like then therefore my site wouldnt be worth the cost.
    The amount of traffic you do is completely up to you. You need to get out there, advertise your site, and get people coming to it. It won't matter what your site is built on if no one goes to it. I don't know much about your chosen topic, but you might want to do some research into keywords and pay-per-click pricing and that will give you an idea of how popular searches are.
  22. #12
  23. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    A Land Down Under
    Posts
    2,101
    Rep Power
    1990
    Originally Posted by Charlesth
    In my opinion for create simple website Wordpress is the best and for create ecommerce website for online selling Magento ecommerce is the best.
    There was a list of requirements posted above, and that says quite clearly that it's not a "simple website".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo