1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Optimizing video for web

I'm working on a client site, and the client wants to use this video as a background for a splash page:

Stock Photography: Search Royalty Free Images & Photos - iStock

We've downloaded the largest file offered, which comes in at 4GB. Since this is a background for a splash page, I'm thinking we wouldn't want to go any smaller than the HD file (1920 x 1080), which I'm guessing will be around 1GB. So I've got a couple of questions:

1. Is there a recommended maximum file size for using a video as a background?

2. Are there any tools we could use to reduce the file size below recommended without sacrificing quality?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sam
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Sphere_Nine
    1. Is there a recommended maximum file size for using a video as a background?
    Not really. The only restriction is to try and keep file size to a minimum so that people aren't downloading huge files. This is especially true for mobile users where a 5MB background video file could end up costing them $$$$ if they are close to their data cap (and yes, it does happen).

Originally Posted by Sphere_Nine
    2. Are there any tools we could use to reduce the file size below recommended without sacrificing quality?
    There's lots of tools out there, but to reduce file size you have to reduce something. That something is either resolution or quality, or both.

The only way to get around this is to use a file format that encodes things with more compression, but you will run the risk of not all browsers supporting various formats, so this might not work everywhere that you will need it to.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    Not really. The only restriction is to try and keep file size to a minimum so that people aren't downloading huge files. This is especially true for mobile users where a 5MB background video file could end up costing them $$$$ if they are close to their data cap (and yes, it does happen).
    I forgot to mention that the theme we're using automatically swaps out an image for the video on mobile/tablet layouts. So this is really only relevant for laptop/desktop.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    As far as I know, it is impossible to play a background video automatically on mobile devices (at least on iOS). Every site I've seen use a background video on desktop, always switches it out with static image on mobile.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo