1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Photography/Picture software..

Does anyone know if there is a software that can read the settings that a picture was taken at?

Like the settings a SLR Digital camera took in taking the picture,

example, Shutter speed, Aperature speed, White balance.. etc..

Any one have any suggestions?
  3. Senior Polecat

ooh err

i don't think thats possible if the images have already been downloaded from the camera.

I know Nikon Pics does something like this when you copy the images from the camera but I don't think the info is in the image - it is in a seperate file which is imported and the linked to the image. It might be that some cameras embed this info in the jpeg file but i think it very unlikely.

Sorry

Icy
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

http://www.XSet.co.uk
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks again for replying..

I guess I just need to get better at my photoshop skills..
  7. No Profile Picture
    VA Developer

The information you are tlaking about can be found in the EXIF headers of TIFF and JPEG images. You can view this information using a function in PHP, but if have not had experience with php you can use Exifer, written by Jake Olefsky. A number of image applications include support for EXIF headers there are also a few programs that are created specifically to read the EXIF information. In digital images there is also IPTC headers which you can store keywords and locatino taken, etc. Here are some links about EXIF

Programs
    Exifer v1.3
    Exif Reader v3.00

File format and Specifications
    Description of Exif file format
    EXIF Specifications
  9. No Profile Picture

Wow, thanks man!!! That really helped me alot!!
  11. No Profile Picture

Digital39: 1 More question for you..

Lets say I take a picture with my digi cam. I then resize the picture in photoshop and change the extension to a ".jpg" file. Will the information be erased, and unrecoverable?
  13. No Profile Picture
    VA Developer

As long as you keep the format to jpg or tiff the whole time you shouldnt lose anything. I have exif information in some images I have saved in PS, it adds a few headers and removes a few, its just if you saved it as a PSD or an image format that doesnt support EXIF headers then you will lose them. I would always keep a backup of the file anyway so will also have the original size. I'm glad it helped, I would also read up on IPTC headers because they are handy for image cataloging and such, in a way it is kind of a pain to add keywords and all to images, but 10 years from now if you are looking at them and have no idea what the image is all about you can just read the headers and find out.
  15. No Profile Picture

Sweet man thank you very much!

The reason I was asking is because I wanted to view some photography and just see what kind of settings they used to get an idea of how to get better at taking digital photographs..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo