1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Photoshop 4 problem.

I am a newbie. When using Photoshop 4 I save my images with the sequential download facility usually 3. My images on my browser I.E.5 show a white page till the full file is loaded. Also, why do I have to press save twice in the save as process.
    MacLochlainn.
    www.ukquad.com
  3. No Profile Picture

PS 4...

When you save your images for the web, what format do you save them under? GIF / JPEG?
    I have yet to see where the option sequential download facility is under the save option...

In regards to having to push save twice in PS4, in the save as process...

When you type in a name under File name of what you want to save your image as, (eg: image) and click save, PS wants to add the file extension - PSD to it. To get around this, simply type the full filename under File name. ie. image.PSD
    and then click save.

Later versions of PS do not have this problem. Well versions 5.5+
    as far as i am aware...

JD
  5. No Profile Picture

Photoshop sequential download.

Thanks for your answer. I am trying to save in jpeg format. when I click save the jpg extension appears then I click save again and a box opens to offer the choice of baseband, baseband optimised or progressive format. I assumed that this meant that when the image is loaded into my web page it would down load in three stages till the full image was loaded. I find that it does not do this but displays a blank page till the full image is loaded.
    This is my problem.
    James Mac Lochlainn
    james@maclochlainn.com
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lightbulb

From the Photoshop 6 help file (about saving JPEGs):

Progressive to create an image that displays gradually as it is downloaded--in a series of scans (you specify how many) showing increasingly detailed versions of the entire image. Progressive JPEG images files are slightly larger in size, require more RAM for viewing, and are not supported by all applications and Web browsers.

So, I figured IE5 had something to do with your problem. I did a search and stumbled across this at some other forum:

From The FireWorks Bible by Joseph W. Lowery page 498
    Internet Explorer doesn't fully support Progressive JPEGs. They are displayed just as if they were not Progressive, though, so there's no harm in using them.

Another quote by the same guy from the same book on page 501:
    Although Internet Explorer displays Progressive JPEG images, it displays them without using the progressive look of developing as they download. They seem to the user to be regular JPEG images.

You can read the thread here:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum36/92.htm
  9. No Profile Picture

Photoshop4

I checked out the other forum and it seems that progressive download isn't available in IE. It means that I have to go through all my images and resave them in the standard format and upload them again. At least in standard format they download in slices from the top and not just show you a blank page for twenty seconds. Mind you I have seen images on other sites which were downloaded progressively. I suppose they must use some special code. I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.
    James MacLochlainn
    www.ukquad.com
  11. No Profile Picture

You say you've seen other images download progressively. Other image file formats can load progressively in IE. Did you check to see if those particular images were progressive JPEG? If you are just after an image that downloads progressively experiment with other file formats.
  13. No Profile Picture

Progressive download of jpegs in IE5

Thanks for your post. The problem my images are just over 100k jpeg so I need to keep them small.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

GIFs seem to be the standard sequential images when interlaced, but they tend to be twice the size of JPEGs.

do you have access to MM FireWorks? the settings for saving files give you more flexibility over file sizes. Virtually every image I have ever saved in PS comes out half the file size from FireWorks.
    " the rarer action is in virtue than in vengeance... "
  17. No Profile Picture

Phyzar,
    GIF's will come out larger than JPEGS if used inappropriately. GIF's work differently to JPEG and are for block colour and fewer colours. JPEGS are for photographic and tonal images due to the way their compression works. If you save photographic/tonal images as a GIF then yes they will be large (unless they're monochromatic and use few colours). If you save a block colour/sharp/line art image as a JPEG then it will mess up your crisp edges and make this file bigger than it needs to be. I've seen images saved as JPEGs that should've been GIFs and taken them from 80k to 20 and less. Tools for the job
  19. No Profile Picture

JPEP progressive download

Thanks for the info. I use IE5 and I have seen jpegs download progressively. I still cant find out how its done.
    James.
  21. No Profile Picture

Holy saints!!.. 100 Kb???? What are they... wallpapers?
    In that case, you should use thumbnails, so the user can have an idea of the images without downloading them all.

Are you using RGB 72dpi images? Maybe the problem is in the resolution...

Good luck
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

the resolution shouldn't make a difference because its the number of pixels that affects the size on a web page, not the dpi. the res only affects printed imagery.

eg...

a 300x300 pixel image at 300dpi will still be 300 pixels wide on a screen, but if imported and printed in something like M$ Word or Quark XPress will only be an inch square.

the same 300x300 pixel image at 72dpi will still be 300 pixels wide on the screen, but would be just over 4 inches square when printed (and lower quality).
    " the rarer action is in virtue than in vengeance... "

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo