1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SQL and its functions

Hey guys,

I'm learning to design a website and I have a question. So I'll have weekly new images along with descriptions and links, say 10-20 new images per week. Is it wise to just add these images to the html code or should I use a database to retrieve these images? Correct me if I'm wrong: because eventually, months down the road, I'll have close to a thousand items and if I hard code it onto my page, it'll take forever to load? I'm new to this whole thing so I'm not sure how to approach this.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Pure hard-coded HTML pages will be faster to load as it doesn't need any processing at all, even less a database access/connection.

But that would more or less be the only positive thing to say.

With a database, it is much more flexible and you also have to store the description and links somewhere.

Just remember that the database should only contain the path to the images, you should not store the actual images into the database.

Have you tried too look at some of the existing templates/CMS engine?
    It might be better/faster/easier to use a standard model and modify that to ones need, instead of starting from scratch.
    Last edited by MrFujin; January 22nd, 2014 at 01:49 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ah, okay thanks! I'm not even sure what the benefits are to having a database. From what I've read, it seems inefficient to hard code everything.

I followed your suggestion and tried a CMS engine, Joomla. Trying to get my head wrapped around it. I want to upload my own css layout and design for my site and not use its templates. And eventually sort each item/link by hits. This seems possible with what they have, but is this the best CMS engine/way to approach this?
  7. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I have heard that Joomla should be quite popular, but don't have any personally experience with it.

Maybe you can explain a bit more what kind of key features/functionalities you are looking for.
    For example, who and how do you want the images be added to the site?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo