Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

NOOB HTML database help right at the start

Hello all!
    I work in a lab where we have to breed mice and keep track of who fathered who and all of that good stuff. Recently, for reasons that shall go unmentioned here, our pen and paper records have proven to be insufficient and we are thinking of new methods for recording all of this husbandry. After spending a good deal of time on IMDB, i think that utilizing a web-page type approach would be the best.
    In a nutshell, what I want to do is create something so that I can record each mouse birth and then put in little links to its parents. Then, those links will show who that mouse's parents were, and so on and so forth. Ideally, I would also be able to see who else was in the littler and what the genotypes, etc were.
    I don't even know where to start on a project, but as I am basing this off IMDB, I figured that HTML would be the best place to start. Am I correct in this? How does one actually go about programming HTML (what programs, etc)? Does this sound like a good idea at all, or horrible?
    I have taken some programming courses, but I think that for this application, I can be considered a total noob, but ready to learn!
    Help me impress my boss and make a fool out of my coworkers!
    thanks!
    andy
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned

HTML won't help here unless you plan to hand code your files? If you are looking for an application that can just enter in all the data for each rat then I would suggest using PHP and Mysql with a database. If you are just going to write it to a page then html can be used here.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Hawks
    HTML won't help here unless you plan to hand code your files? If you are looking for an application that can just enter in all the data for each rat then I would suggest using PHP and Mysql with a database. If you are just going to write it to a page then html can be used here.
    I will be inputting all the info for each mouse, but I wanted to be able to use those links effectively, and then to be able to click through and pull up all the info about the parent mice. Does this make sense?
    thanks!
    andy
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned

So you want to categorize your files? Since you won't be doing this much more I would recommend just using basic html. No need to learn html/css/php/mysql when your doing such a small and simple website.

Comments on this post

• medialint disagrees : see below
  9. No Profile Picture

So you want to categorize your files? Since you won't be doing this much more I would recommend just using basic html. No need to learn html/css/php/mysql when your doing such a small and simple website.
    OK! So where do I start? I imagine that I need some sort of program to write the code. What is that program?
  11. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I disagree. I strongly disagree. The nature of your project almost by definition suggests your data should be in a database.

I want to do is create something so that I can record each mouse birth and then put in little links to its parents. Then, those links will show who that mouse's parents were, and so on and so forth
    What Hawks is suggesting here is to recreate your paper records in HTML. What you're really looking for is a database.

There is a much steeper learning curve if you are using a database, and you will have additional server requirements as well, but if I know mice and their breeding patterns the chore of creating a web page for each mouse is going to become a nightmare after a few weeks of this. Taking the effort to assemble a dynamic data driven web application you can enter data into and automatically have it display your data to the end users will pay off in the end.

Comments on this post

• lnxgeek agrees
    Last edited by medialint; January 13th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

You would either need a cpanel where you can code your files in there, or you would need a basic text editor like Notepad and apache on your computer.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by medialint
    I disagree. I strongly disagree. The nature of your project almost by definition suggests your data should be in a database.

What Hawks is suggesting here is to recreate your paper records in HTML. What you're really looking for is a database.

There is a much steeper learning curve if you are using a database, and you will have additional server requirements as well, but if I know mice and their breeding patterns the chore of creating a web page for each mouse is going to become a nightmare after a few weeks of this. Taking the effort to assemble a dynamic data driven web application you can enter data into and automatically have it display your data to the end users will pay off in the end.
    Web application.....that sounds difficult. Is it? Is this project just over my head?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Yes I believe it is, but you can always attempt it. You could hire someone to do a better, more pleasing setup.
  19. Web Developer/Musician
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

A server side language would be the logical choice for this, but not the only one. Firefox and Safari both now support the new HTML5 local SQL storage specification. There is a Firefox extension called SQLight manager that is database manager application. This may be all you need for this type of record keeping. The extension is free.
    Coder Central Tutorials, news and information for the programming community at large.
  21. anarchy without chaos.

For a non programmer and in this case the best solution is MS-Access!!!
  23. Type Cast Exception

I'm an Access power user and its great for a lot of things, especially quick data analysis hacks from disparate data. One thing it isn't great for is a database for web applications.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I recommend PHP with MySQL. Reason: for a self-confessed, ahh, beginner, it is reasonably simple to copy, paste, and modify online example code. Configuration is reasonably simple too (where I security and airtight structure are not issues, and you just want the flamming thing to WORK), and anybody with other programming experience should be able to do it in no time flat (couple of hours, I mean). Just apply google liberally.

Web applications sound fancy, aren't too difficult. Check the w3schools php & mysql tutorial for more info.
  27. No Profile Picture
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by washkow
    Web application.....that sounds difficult. Is it? Is this project just over my head?
    Not really. You need to learn HTML anyway, right? We all start somewhere. PHP is just a way to deliver dynamic content to the end user rather than having static HTML documents you have to edit and manage everytime some data changes. MySQL or SQLite are powerful but free database systems to keep data in line and have it in some sort of logical relation. They're all really nothing more than extensions of a webserver, which you need to serve up the HTML anyway.

As I'm an advocate of PHP, MySQL and open source software in general, I recommend at least using PHP and possibly SQLite or MySQL for the database (in concurrence with most of the other posters).

Do you have a webserver already onsite you plan on using for the project? Is this meant to be an intranet website only or an extension of your campus / business / lab website? Or do you intend on publishing to the world with your own new domain name?
    Last edited by lnxgeek; January 22nd, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
    "Seriously, we're not a search engine, we're actual people." ~ ManiacDan

BookMooch.com : Give books away. Get books you want.
  29. mod_dev_shed

Welcome to Dev Shed.

Thread moved from HTML to Web Design Help ...

You might be able to get a Zoho database setup to do this. I'm not sure if or how easily you can use this to relate data, but I think it's worth looking in to for someone with your needs and skill set.

A forum full of developers will generally tell you to develop or to higher a developer but there are a lot of free tools out there that might work.
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo