1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Trying to write a brief for a wordpress plugin

Hello everybody

I have never written a brief before and I need to write a brief to get quotes to get a wordpress plugin developed. I wanted to get some feeback from people who have more experiance.

So am I asking for something that cant be done, have I explained myself well enouph and have I missed anything?

1.0 OVERVIEW OF PLUGIN REQUIREMENT

I want a user to come to my site and create a custom post type in my wordpress blog. The idea is based of Role-Playing Game character sheets where a player can customise the equipment and armour that the in game character is using.

This spec is not, by any stretch of the imagination, complete. All of the wording will need to be revised several times before it is finalized. The graphics and layout of the screens is shown here merely to illustrate the underlying functionality. The actual look and feel will be developed over time in conjunction with the winning bidder.

2.0 LIST OF FUNCTIONS
    2.1 User authentication

Available to users who have logged into the blog.

2.2 Selection of equipment

The user can select equipment from several lists of equipment eg weapons, armour, shields etc. Each one of these selections will be a picture and will be a link to another website.

2.3 Publish the post

The user will be able to publish the post and have it look something like the included picture.

2.4 Scaling

Each picture and location must scale with any changes to the browser.

2.5 Backend Administration

I must be able to control and edit the pictures and links as well as what lists each piece of equipment can go into. It must also be easy for me to add new lists later.

3.0 STYLE AND LAYOUT
    3.1 Overall Style

The style of the finished and published post should be consistent with the rest of the website.

4.0 ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
    4.1 Accessibility

This site must comply with the standards of accessibility contained in W3C WAI (World Wide Web Consortium Web Accessibility Initiative) level A Guidelines.

4.2 Valid Code

All code on the site should validate to W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) specifications.

Thanks for all your help.

Gathris
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Each picture and location must scale with any changes to the browser.
    I don't know what you mean by this.

What you've described sounds fairly simple, but if you plan for it to become anymore complex than that (for example, if you're planning to use these character sheets to build an online game) I would absolutely advise you to not use WordPress.

You should explore the PODs plugin. It should work to implement all of the back-end pieces of this functionality, including defining your custom post type, managing the records and managing your lists of items. You would still probably need someone to customize the front-end pieces of it though.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    I don't know what you mean by this.

What you've described sounds fairly simple, but if you plan for it to become anymore complex than that (for example, if you're planning to use these character sheets to build an online game) I would absolutely advise you to not use WordPress.

You should explore the PODs plugin. It should work to implement all of the back-end pieces of this functionality, including defining your custom post type, managing the records and managing your lists of items. You would still probably need someone to customize the front-end pieces of it though.

What I ment by scailable was that the pictuers and and their locations should move as moniter sizes change so that say what is in the hands stays in the hands and does not migrate all over the place. How do you think I should say that?

This site is not about the game itsself but about the costuming involved. The idea is to sell costume makers slots on the characters to show off their wares.

I will have a look at the POD plugin. Thanks for that!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo