1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Not really 'web', but still need help (live parsing xls to table)

Ok, first of all, hi there! I'm new here, hoping someone can come to my rescue.. I don't know much about today's web design.. I remember the basics from way back when, but the little web work I've done lately has been with a WYSIWYG program..

So I am in a situation right now where I need to come up with something creative. I am sponsoring a laser tag event for our town's 4th of July festival, and since there will be a tournament part, I need to come up with a way to display the leaderboard. Unfortunately all of the pre-made leaderboard software either sucks or is too ridiculously expensive for me to even consider.

What I want is for there to just be a big TV with the top 32 scores ranked automatically. I also want it to update transparently, so I figure some kind of client/server type setup where the data can be input on the computer's other display. It seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard to have a simple local webpage with a javascript or something that I can open fullscreen in a browser on the TV (and will autorefresh at set intervals or when the xls file changes), and on the other display have Excel open to enter names and scores.

Once the .xls file is updated and saved, the web page should automatically read the .xls, parse the new data, and update the table. This will NOT be on a live web server, basically the web page and .xls file will just be in a directory on the computer. That said, for this purpose I don't think there's any difference whether it is a push or poll setup.

The xls will simply have two columns, name and score.

The table should be broken into two sets of columns (1-16/17-32).. so there's no scrolling needed.. Each column set should have a static Rank column (1-16 & 17-32), then the name and score from the xls automatically sorted in descending order by score. At the very beginning the table will need to tolerate less than 32 entries (ie: if there are only 5 entrants so far, the #6-32 rankings should be blank, not showing errors). Then after there are more than 32 entries, it should always post the highest 32 values in the xls and ignore the rest..

So does this sound to any of you like something you could whip up real quick? If you could help I would be eternally grateful! Thanks in advance!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Nobody?
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You should do this with a CSV and a meta-refresh tag on your page. A fully JS solution is impossible since JS doesn't read local files. Installing XAMPP (or similar) will give you basic PHP which can read localhost files and spit out your leaderboard. meta-refresh on the page will reload it automatically every couple seconds and parse the CSV (which is excel-compatible).

Also, regarding your most recent (deleted) post: While the forum is relatively active, your problem is a "do it for me" kind of request. You asked how to design a complex system from the ground up on very short notice (less than a week). Helping you means implicitly dedicating myself to a week or so of dealing with the follow-up questions. There are plenty of "a-holes" on these boards, me chief among them, but I doubt any of them read your post until today.

Closing this thread so it doesn't attract any more flames. Begin this project. If you run into trouble, post in the PHP section and it will be seen, though probably not in time for your tournament.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo