Thread: Web Information

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Web Information

Hey guys,

I want to get a complete overview of my prospective market online before I start a project.

Is there a web information site like Alexa that shows real user figures (total hits per month, etc) instead of just % of total users online.
    Many thanks,
    J
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Nobody actually has that information; the design of the internet doesn't allow for any centralized system that could collect it.

Even Alexa only collects metrics from users that have the Alexa toolbar installed. So they know the actual number of Alexa-toolbar-users that have visited a particular site and they know the number of users that have the Alexa toolbar installed, but they don't know the total number of internet users or the total number of internet users that visit a particular site.

It's interesting information, but I don't consider their sample to be statistically very good.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Nobody actually has that information; the design of the internet doesn't allow for any centralized system that could collect it.

Even Alexa only collects metrics from users that have the Alexa toolbar installed. So they know the actual number of Alexa-toolbar-users that have visited a particular site and they know the number of users that have the Alexa toolbar installed, but they don't know the total number of internet users or the total number of internet users that visit a particular site.

It's interesting information, but I don't consider their sample to be statistically very good.

Thanks a lot! Great answer..
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo

Would it be fair to say you can get a gauge of the TOP 30/40% or site rankings from alexa though?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The position of a site within the rankings doesn't have much to do with the accuracy of the ranking of that site. The accuracy of their statistics is determined by the demographics of the site's visitors and the demographics of users who have the Alexa toolbar installed. If there is a lot of overlap between the demographics then the site's ranking will be artificially high; if there is very little overlap then the site's rankings will be artificially low.

I would guess that Google and Facebook both have better ranking data than Alexa, but neither of them publish it.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  11. No Profile Picture

Smile

Originally Posted by joshj
    Hey guys,

I want to get a complete overview of my prospective market online before I start a project.

Is there a web information site like Alexa that shows real user figures (total hits per month, etc) instead of just % of total users online.
    Many thanks,
    J
    Hi joshj;

Aexa is the best website for any type of web information service, so instead of using alexa site why are you searching for another website for web information services?
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi, I am totally agreed with the E-Oreo's answer here. This is absolutely true. That information is private and no one can tell you the all web details leave the alexa because they maintain the ranks of the website.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

And Alexa ranking is considered to be one of the most useless things in web analytics, showing practically nothing.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo