1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Webdev suggestions needed for forum+files layout

Hey all. I'm not sure if such a thing even exists, but I figured this place would be a good starting point. Currently, our group uses Yahoo Groups to communicate which acts as a listserv when folks subscribe to the group. I'm not at all a fan of how the communication works and feel there are several shortcomings to the style of Yahoo Groups, so I've decided to involve a few members that have experience setting up/configuring sites to come up with something more effective. I believe mybb will get the job done and have used this solution for a few other sites I maintain and it seems to work pretty well. The only issue with migrating from Yahoo Groups to this layout is that the files Yahoo Groups maintains doesn't seem to exist as a plugin or other design attribute for mybb. Basically, we use things like spreadsheets, images, and anything else members are kind enough to contribute.

First off, has anyone that might have been a member of Yahoo Groups in the past had any luck performing a data migration from Yahoo Groups' layout to mybb? Not just the messages posted by members of the group, but also the Files/Database section ported over to a similar style in mybb?

Thanks for any/all feedback. And, I'd love to hear if any of you believe a better alternative/solution exists.

I'd provide screenshots, but it appears I don't have permission.
    Last edited by loadedmind; September 20th, 2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Add Screenshots

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo