Thread: Website direct

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Website direct

hello - apologies the title is confusing and incorrect, I couldn't think of anything better but here's my question:

I have a website (ex: ww.xyz.kom). There are few ways to reach this as I understand
    a) type (ww.xyz.comm) on the address bar and hit "enter"
    b) type (xyz) and then hit ctrl+enter

what I want to know is how can a user be directed to my site if they just type "xyz.com" on the address bar and hit enter. Currently when I try this it gives me an error saying "website not found".

Thanks in advance for your help

I hope I was clear with my Q.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I didn't get you what exactly you want to ask? Can you elobrate me again?
    Last edited by Kravvitz; August 21st, 2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: must we quote the whole post? :p
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ashwynn
    hello - apologies the title is confusing and incorrect, I couldn't think of anything better but here's my question:

I have a website (ex: ww.xyz.kom). There are few ways to reach this as I understand
    a) type (ww.xyz.comm) on the address bar and hit "enter"

what I want to know is how can a user be directed to my site if they just type "xyz.com" on the address bar and hit enter. Currently when I try this it gives me an error saying "website not found".

Thanks in advance for your help

I hope I was clear with my Q.
    There is only one way to solve it is that you need to use 301 redirect for the url variations such as with www.xyz.com, xyz.com, http://xyz.com etc. which you expect for visitors/userís entry on the website.
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, ashwynn.

If the domain name without the "www." sub-domain prefix doesn't work, then the DNS settings need to be changed to point the raw domain to the same place as that sub-domain.

As Jason says, it's best to set up a permanent redirect from one to the one which you prefer people to use.

Originally Posted by ashwynn
    That's just a browser shortcut to automatically enter some of the characters for you.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

You need to redirect the site to same domain with www and without www. You can change the settings through cpanel.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo