1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Website header sizes?

I am just wondering what image sizes are desirable to have for website header?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There isn't a notion of a defined header size, or even necessarily a header. Design your website intelligently, is about all I can say.

I know what you're trying to do. You're looking for standards to size your layout by. Header size, logo size, sidebar size, etc. Don't do this. There isn't one, except maybe by advertisement standards. And you really don't want to do everything by an ad standard. If your header looks remotely like an ad or has the standards of an ad, people will ignore it.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with previous poster, there is no best size to use for a header, just make sure though that it fits in with page correctly when in different screen resolutions.
    Website Design services at competitive prices. Free domain name and hosting for a year, unlimited revisions and SEO included.

Web Design | Logo Design | Banner Design | SEO | Website Maintenance | Ecommerce
  7. Classical Computing
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by andreyknure
    Do you mean file sizes? It's amazing how small they cay be in a browser and still look good. The faster the download the better.
    Simple is beautiful.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by andreyknure
    Not completely sure what the question is - perhaps you can clarify it?

A lot depends on the sort of site you are creating. If you want to put ads in the header, then standard banner ad formats will dictate at least a certain size (a typical ad is 728x90, or a smaller one is 468x60). See https://www.google.com/adsense/static/en_US/AdFormats.html for details.

I typically use 999px overall width for my banner and content in a fixed width layout. banner height between 100 and 130px depending on the site.

If the site will not carry ads then you have more flexibility.
  11. No Profile Picture

yes sure i agree. there is no best size to use for a header

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo