1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do I put a website on the internet?

Hello,

After I have coded the html/javascript/css documents, how do I put it up on the internet? How do I get a .com etc?

Thank you for your help
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

1. Get a domain name. Any registrar will do this for you, but if you are starting out I'd suggest one of the bigger players like Godaddy as they can probably offer more help.
    2. Get hosting. Any hosting company can help you out, but same as above, I'd suggest a bigger company to start off with.
    3. Upload your files. Mostly done through FTP, so get an FTP program and set up your account.

That's really all there is to it. if you run into any hassles along the way, then come back and let us know where you're having problems.
    Last edited by Kravvitz; July 26th, 2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: typo correction
  5. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I wouldn't recommend GoDaddy. They are cheap but, in their case anyway, you get what you pay for. I recommend 1&1 instead. (I currently have an account on each.)

Catacaustic, if you don't mind my asking, which host(s) and registrar(s) do you use?
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Catacaustic, if you don't mind my asking, which host(s) and registrar(s) do you use?
    For domains, I use GoDaddy for .com etc, and TPP Internet for .com.au's. I haven't had a problem with GoDaddy so far, but I've only ever used them for domain names, never hosting!!

For hosting, I was with HostGator for a fair while with a reseller account until I moved to my own could-based VPS.
  9. No Profile Picture

How do I put a website on the internet?

I have also published my website tech-prastish.com by using these factors:

- You purchase a web hosting package
    - You or the web host purchases the domain name
    - The web host sets up a folder on their server for you to store your documents in; you also decide what the name of your homepage will be (home.html, index.html, etc.)
    - The web host configures your domain name to point to the agreed upon file for your homepage
    - The web host then gives you an IP/server name, a user name and password to access your website's folder via FTP
    - You create and/or edit the pages on your computer, then upload them via FTP to the server for publication
  11. No Profile Picture

Just Pick a Domain name which related to your business or personal one.

Then you could choose out hosting providers which cheap and offering one depends your budget.

Probably Domain sellers will offer you and even you can assist with FTP to make your web changes.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

First get domain name second get hosting from any company and then upload your files through FTP OR set your account.
  15. No Profile Picture

try with your hosting providers ,,,,,,
  17. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Thank you for all the information it is been very helpfull..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo