1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Website issues, need help

I work for a nonprofit research institution and we recently launched a website. Unfortunately, some people have reported having problems with it (slow loading times, pages not rendering properly). I have been unable to reproduce any of these issues, which makes it hard to identify the problem. As far as I can tell, it's not a server issue, and not being a web developer, it's been hard for me to figure out exactly what may be causing the problem. Is there a systematic way to diagnose these things? I have used chrome's "inspect element" tool, but I am not entirely sure what I should be looking for. If anyone here could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
  3. Old Fart

You may have a browser compatibility problem.
    Find out what browsers/operating systems are being used when problems occur.
    Perhaps you can reproduce problem with one of those browsers.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by richpri
    You may have a browser compatibility problem.
    Find out what browsers/operating systems are being used when problems occur.
    Perhaps you can reproduce problem with one of those browsers.
    Thanks for your help. I looked into that already, and it does not seem to be browser specific. For example, people using the exact same configuration as me, (chrome, no plugins, win 7) have intermittent issues, but I don't. I have tried different browser and used a service to test for compatibility and things seem to be fine.

I wish I could post the url so you could take a look yourself.
  7. No Profile Picture

Check out the website compatibility with different browsers and retest the website.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Krishkv
    Check out the website compatibility with different browsers and retest the website.
    Thanks for the help. I have done that already, and it displays properly in most browsers (certainly in "modern" browsers).

What else could it be? I was thinking it could have something to do with the jquery used in the sidebar; perhaps it conflicts with something else? How could I check for something like that?
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by floppy312
    I wish I could post the url so you could take a look yourself.
    You can. You can get around the URL posting restriction by adding some spaces into the URL before you post it. eg:

http: // www . mysite . com
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    You can. You can get around the URL posting restriction by adding some spaces into the URL before you post it. eg:

http: // www . mysite . com
    Oh, thanks for the tip. Here's the url in case someone has time to take a look at it: www childrenschances .org
  15. No Profile Picture

I checked in Chrome 25.X on Mac and the website took long to load, whereas it was quick in FireFox, so it seems to be the browser compatibility issue. Ask users who are reporting the website to be slow about their browser, its version and operating system they are using. This should help localizing the problem!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Check your website compatibility on all browsers and some changes on your website..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo