1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wordpress speed help!

I'm not much of a developer, I can only tweak code here and there so I built myself a website based on a wordpress theme. I uploaded a theme and content and the site seemed to work ok while I got everything all set up. But now the site seems to be operating exceptionally slow. I cannot figure out why.

The site is a photo portfolio so I used to have this issue when I had pages loading with large pictures (my old site was a full browser flash design and I changed it to something non flash to make it quicker and work on mobiles)

BUt from what I understand the pages don't load any full images, just thumbnails.

I know sometimes wordpress blogs take a little longer because they have to go through all the php every page for the dynamic content. But this is just ridiculous.

I have also tried using Hyper Cache which didn't do much, nor did Super Cache. Should I be playing with gzip at all?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. The site is www.kekoz.com.

I tried contacting my hosting company but they tried out the site and claimed it operated at normal speeds.... But I'm not so sure.

Thanks again for any advice
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Your main page loads a fair number of large images, so the total page size is about 10 times larger than what I would consider to be a standard sized web page. Because of this it is probably going to take a bit longer to load than an ordinary website, especially on a mobile device.

However, that said, there does seem to be an intermittent problem with the site that is causing unreasonably slow load times. It seems that the server is taking a very long time to respond to requests when this happens.

Additionally, I also occasionally will get a blank white screen when I load the site, which indicates that a PHP error is occurring. If you track down this error it might lead you to the problem.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it took about 5 seconds for the homepage to load for me, after that each additional page loaded in around 1 second.

the main page images are very large and i would reccomend reducing the size to make the load time quicker! although the other pages display thumbnails and so there should be no problem loading those pages, so id say its an issue with your web host!!

what host are you using ?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

@E-Oreo: I can live with a little longer mainpage load time for the simple reason of having the larger images on there. That makes sense to me. The intermittent drags in speed is what is driving me insane. I got those white screens as well. I'm just not sure how I would even start looking for a problem thats so unpredictable.

@iwdesigns: See those load times don't sound so bad to me. I could live with it. I'm starting to think this has something to do with the hosts daily bandwidth usage as now that it's later in the day the site seems to work fine with the load times you stated.

My host is Startlogic, what are some hosting services you would reccomend? I'm a fan of cheap, (who isn't) but not at the cost of my site being unusable during the day.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i always use a company called justhost for any website i create!

they allow unlimited space and bandwidth!

because i use them a lot i can get you 50% off the usual fee if you use my referral code!! it will cost you around 50 for 2 years hosting with free domain name!

message me if your interested.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

When the white screen appears it should be placing an error message into the web server error log, there should be a way for you to access this and determine what is causing the error. Fixing whatever that is might fix the problems as well.
  13. Contributing User

Maybe from so many external javascripts scripts and external background images? Your hosting service?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo