1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi,

I was going to download The Gimp, but there is no gif ability because of copyright problems. Is it true that all freeware graphics programs are not going to be able to use gifs?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Question Not sure, but what OS?

I'm not sure about an answer to your question, specifically, but what OS are you using?
    Michael
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

7Stud,

No. It means the authors of Gimp wish not to pay the license fee to the copyright holders of the GIF compression technology. It's a one time license fee for usage in the software. I don't remember the amount, I don't think it was outrageous around $500 or so, which given the reach and capability of the GIF file format it would be worth licensing. I think it's more of a statement on behalf of the authors of GIMP. We are open-source free-ware and won't be tied down to a license.

Of course you could use GIMP to create your graphics and save in another format to be read by another graphic program to turn it into a GIF. Little extra work but considering the strength of GIMP, in that its as close to PhotoShop as one can get, it would be worth the extra step.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

Then I am afraid the Gimp will never be a good graphics program. You can't just ingnore one of the most popular formats. I am going to buy Paint Shop Pro.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Question Ulead

Did you look into Ulead's stuff?

http://www.ulead.com/
    Michael

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo