1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to make a file sharing website!

I am going to make a website, where people can write stuff, make slideshows, and make up question papers, where people can view them. Furthermore i want to carete a memebers area, where they have passwords and usernames, they can view these files on the web-browser, these members have profiles, in which they can save thier best wanted files on thier account, like a bookmark, also i want a forum, i need huge space i would say 10gb for now. So i want two classes of members, ones that can only wiew files, and others that write the documents. Also i give web space to the member class, which writes these files, like 1gb etc, i dont know where to really start
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by ONEHITWONDER
    i dont know where to really start
    Most of what you want to do is done with a server side programming language; you will have to learn to program in one. The member data you want stored should be kept on a database, or a customized server. There's a number of resources for working with databases, but custom server solutions is something you're going to have come up with on your own creativity and ingenuity.

So start by picking a programming language that can be used for web programming. PHP is very popular, especially among hobbyists because it has a low barrier of entry and high mainstream resources. On the commercial side, Java and .NET (ASP.NET, C#) are popular, although you need significant technical expertise to work with them.

You also have a number of other languages in use. Python and Ruby are solid choices. They don't have the mainstream use of PHP, or Java or .NET, but they are very good programming languages, versatile, and have good web frameworks. If you are creating a web 2.0ish website/application, using Python and Ruby might be one way of going with the flow The barrier of entry with them is pretty low as well, but you don't have as many resources as you do with PHP.

I'm telling you to choose between PHP, Python, and Ruby, and perhaps consider ASP.NET. You make a choice by reading about the different languages, and then pick one. You read about them with the aid of Google. If you do some reading and want points clarified, come back here and ask more questions.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture

Awesome But ?!!!

But is their is an easy way to made that such as "Host web sight"
    Small use of space
    no more effort as you said
  7. No Profile Picture

business accounting software

Now, if you have never used any software before or not very friendly with computer programs then it becomes excessively important that you choose . We are not saying that finding software for accounting is difficult but finding simple, easy and affordable software for bookkeeping can be little daunting. There are very few things that you need to keep in mind in order to make the best choice. Firstly decide what all features and functionalities you want in your software program for accounting. You just want to use it to keep record of your financial transactions or you will be using it to send invoices and accept payments? How much security you think is important? What about data backup and ease of access? Are all these things too really important and vital for your business accounting?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo