1. Senior Member
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

How to make round/curved text?

I'm working on some round buttons which need a text around them. Normally I'm using Photoshop for my graphics but I can't figure out a way to achieve this:

Example

Can somebody point me in the right direction and tell me how to do this in Photoshop or which program to use?

Thanks for any help!
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

PHP | MySQL | DevShed Forum Search | Google Search
  3. // no comment

what version of photoshop are you using? photoshop has a warp text function which can be found at the menu : Layer -> Type -> Warp Text.
  5. Senior Member

Thanks for your reply!
    I'm using PS7 and I already tried the warp function. In my experience, it stretches the text (both horizontally and vertically) and I don't get it around a small circle the way I want to...

<dream>
    It would be ideal imo to have some option where you could enter the diameter of the circle and then you just type (and you can change the text later for other buttons -> the text shouldn't be rasterized first)
    </dream>

I also found a tutorial on the net about using polar coordinates and while I do get it around in a circle, it's also not quite what I'm looking for since it makes the circle almost complete... I want the text to follow the circle for 25%-40% (since the text won't be longer I hope) --> like the yellow line I placed on the warping example (where the dots stand for a bit larger text)

Attached
    • Example of a button with some normal text and some warped text at maximal 'warping'
    • Example of polar coordinates
    • Tutorial on polar coordinates
    Attached Files
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

PHP | MySQL | DevShed Forum Search | Google Search
  7. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)

What you're trying to do is create "text on a path". It's really easy in illustrator, I couldn't see an easy way to do it in Photoshop 6, but it might be possible in v.7. See what options the text too has. You can create a round marquee, convert it to a path, then see where you can go from there.
  9. // no comment

Originally posted by Mirax
    Thanks for your reply!
    I also found a tutorial on the net about using polar coordinates and while I do get it around in a circle, it's also not quite what I'm looking for since it makes the circle almost complete... I want the text to follow the circle for 25%-40% (since the text won't be longer I hope) --> like the yellow line I placed on the warping example (where the dots stand for a bit larger text)
    using the filter distort > polar coordinates: to make the text 25-40% of the circle, you have to experiment with the font size and the canvas size (the marquee selection when you apply the filter). the text will go around in a circle depending on the size of the text to the selection.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo