1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need advice on web site graphics...

I'm planning to build an e-comm web site over the next several months as a personal goal/project and, hopefully, successfull business venture. The only part of the site which may pose a problem is the actual graphics I intend to use in the pages. I'm not a graphics designer by any means, but I defintely can create great-looking pages using HTML and CSS as I have been using them for the past several years. Anyway, I have a copy of Photoshop 6, but I was wondering if I may need other software for creating some really cool-looking graphics for my site. I may even take a course in advanced computer graphics because I really want to create the graphics myself, but if I cant, then I'll need to hire a professional.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

SAF
  3. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

IMO, the most important feature is layering. Photoshop has this, as does GIMP (for *nix), and the newer versions of PaintShop Pro. You should be fine with Photoshop if you can figure it out. I recommend a book to start with before you pay for a course.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by jharnois
    IMO, the most important feature is layering. Photoshop has this, as does GIMP (for *nix), and the newer versions of PaintShop Pro. You should be fine with Photoshop if you can figure it out. I recommend a book to start with before you pay for a course.
    Ok, but what about Corel Bryce, 3D Studio Max, or Maya?

Thanks again,

SAFX
  7. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I've never used any of those (I guess I should have told you I'm not a graphics pro either )
  9. Doggie
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Stick with Photoshop. I've tried doing certain things in Gimp, and found it impossible.

Learn about layer effects. These are effects that apply to the whole layer, even if it changes later. You can get some nice stuff with it.
  11. No Profile Picture

error with quick reply
    Last edited by viking0012; July 22nd, 2003 at 01:57 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture

error with quick reply
    Last edited by viking0012; July 22nd, 2003 at 01:57 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture

I am currently trying to learn 3d studio, and i can say that it is not an easy task. I know the Maya is even harder. They are more for 3d rendering. If you can master them, they can produce some unreal results. Completely different from photoshop.
  17. Capt'n

If your going to get into 3D art stuff, use blender. www.blender3d.org. Its opensource, free, will work on most platforms and is great for learning. I recomend buying The Blender Book for $40 inorder to get started. $40 is much cheaper than the $2000 for LightWave, $3500 for 3D max, and even more for Maya. BLender also has an amazing Layering feature for a 3D app.

Still, for web stuff Photoshop is the standard for the reason. I started to use GIMP, but again was finding it took like 8 steps to do the same thing as Photoshop in three steps. (mainly beveling).
    Why? Because Forms just look cooler in OS X...

Dutch, it's like German...but not!
  19. Capt'n

If your going to get into 3D art stuff, use blender. www.blender3d.org. Its opensource, free, will work on most platforms and is great for learning. I recomend buying The Blender Book for $40 inorder to get started. $40 is much cheaper than the $2000 for LightWave, $3500 for 3D max, and even more for Maya. BLender also has an amazing Layering feature for a 3D app.

Still, for web stuff Photoshop is the standard for the reason. I started to use GIMP, but again was finding it took like 8 steps to do the same thing as Photoshop in three steps. (mainly beveling).
    Why? Because Forms just look cooler in OS X...

Dutch, it's like German...but not!
  21. No Profile Picture

Photoshop is the master, so just use the force.
    Also try your hand at the other software like the ones you mentioned above, dont limit yourself ........

Good luck
  23. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up photoshop is great

Different graphic designers will pick their favourite programs. It's almost a contest between object programs and pixil programs. If photoshop is what you've got, and you can learn to use it well, you can make millions of amazing graphics. Even a little illustration or photo manipulation can come out looking fantastic.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo