1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

No luck in other forumns - I hope someone can help here...I have several tables using jpegs as backgrounds. Problem is when I put I nested table in with a solid background, the "parent" or main table overrides the nested one and I don't see it's solid color - only the background of the main table. I can't use the transparent gif trick because I don't want a plain white background, I want a colored background. I tried putting the other nested table (removing the solid color) within another table and giving the bigger table the solid background instead to "show through". This problem is only in Netscape and I am using FrontPage 2000.
    -Tressa
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Using backgroundimages in tables "require" that you tell every cell to having a backgroundimage or not. At least if you are putting a table into another table, and want it to look the same way in browsers supporting background-images in cells.

background="none"

is what you have to do at first! If you dont want the image to appear again for every cell.
    Yes, it's a netscape "problem"

Then, if you want a bgcolor for a cell, you have to define it IN THE CELL, and as a stylesheet, to make sure it will look correct in all netscape's.
    Like this:
    <pre>
    <td background="none" class="none" bgcolor="black">
    </pre>

where class="none" is

<pre>
    .none {background-image:none; background-color:black;}
    <pre>

a part of a stylesheet, in the document or as an external stylesheet.

This make it work in all netscape versions supporting backgroundimages in cells.
    If you don't know anything about css, you should visit http://www.w3.org/

Steffen

5. No Profile Picture

Bgcolor is not supported in Netscape higher versions. So, instead of that you will have to place the bgcolors with background with images of the color corresponding to the bgcolor.
    For example:
    Replace your code :

<table bgcolor="#ff00ff"></table>
    with
    <table background="green.gif"></table>

green.gif -> a small image say width 5 px x 5px.

This will surely work.

Rashmi.B.
    ----------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tressa:
    No luck in other forumns - I hope someone can help here...I have several tables using jpegs as backgrounds. Problem is when I put I nested table in with a solid background, the "parent" or main table overrides the nested one and I don't see it's solid color - only the background of the main table. I can't use the transparent gif trick because I don't want a plain white background, I want a colored background. I tried putting the other nested table (removing the solid color) within another table and giving the bigger table the solid background instead to "show through". This problem is only in Netscape and I am using FrontPage 2000.
    -Tressa
    [/quote]