1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

HTTPS (and self-hosting a website)

hello all,

my background: Ubuntu 10.10, PHP and Mysql

me and my friend have a site that we designed for fun and it is not a very big fancy site, it is only a couple of scripts and runs on a free web host... we still have lots of free time and want to take it a step further (because we are seriously bored) and try to make it secure as in make it from http to https...in case this is not possible with a web host... i dont mind hosting the site
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

To use HTTPS you need to purchase an SSL Certificate. Free web hosts are very unlikely to allow you to configure such a thing because you typically need a dedicated IP address to use it as well.

Hosting a web site yourself is a very bad idea. There are three main problems with it. The first is security. You need to have a very good hardware firewall to even consider such a thing (and that is just the most basic of the security precautions it would be wise to take). The second is that many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) block incoming connections on port 80 (the default port for HTTP) so that people have trouble setting up a self-hosted website and give up. The third is that web sites need an Internet connection with a high upload speed and most residential Internet connections have rather low upload speeds, so your website would be very slow.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you Kravvitz

as i realise i can see that there is no way to implement this in my situtaion
    but since i really wont be needing https i wont bother about that

and sir...
    i usually host the site my self! only recently i uploaded it to a free web host

as for problem 1) I really dont care about secuirity as primarily i use linux and it is as roubust as possible...plus i use a computer as a firewall with vyatta linux and again that is quite robust and quite fine
    as for problem 2) my ISP (BSNL - India) they allow all incoming ports so i dint really have a problem
    as for problem 3) I get about 0.55 MBps upload so that is like more than enough for the site that we created... besides i barely even get any visitors! once in a rare time some friend of mine will check the site....other than that i barely even get traffic! so that much upload is like more than enough

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo