1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What do i need to know to make "Dealer locator"

I'm a new webmaster, I work for a medium forklift attachments manufacturing company, and we sell only to dealers. The dealers sell our attachments to their clients to go with the forklifts that they have either previously sold them, or are currently selling them.

I made a new website for the company, just fairly basic html/css (my first one). I coded it all by hand. It was a bit tough to learn, but i already feel pretty comfortable with HTML and CSS and how they work together. There is a long list of things to do for the website.

One of the more difficult ones is a dealer locator, so that end-users that find our website can find a dealer near them to order our attachments through. We have a database of dealers across the country, so i need a way to put it online, and make it searchable by zip code or city or whatever. I know for a fact that this is going to require much more than HTML/CSS. But i have no idea what, and im sure there are several ways to do it. I know ill probably have to learn another language...

How do i get started?
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, Brandontw.

You'll need a server-side language and a database (management system). Many of us around here prefer to use PHP and MySQL, respectively, but there are many other options, including ASP.Net with MS-SQL. If you already have a host for your website, then you should see which ones are included in your hosting package.

However, I would caution you that this is a project better suited for a seasoned programmer and therefore suggest you hire someone to help you with that.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Welcome to DevShed Forums, Brandontw.

You'll need a server-side language and a database (management system). Many of us around here prefer to use PHP and MySQL, respectively, but there are many other options, including ASP.Net with MS-SQL. If you already have a host for your website, then you should see which ones are included in your hosting package.

However, I would caution you that this is a project better suited for a seasoned programmer and therefore suggest you hire someone to help you with that.
    I was afraid of that...

However... i do have plenty of time to dedicate to the project, and i am a fast learner. I became fairly proficient with html and css very quickly. I think if i could just find a good guide, or at least something to get me pointed in the right direction, i may be able to pull it off.

Any links or advice anybody has would be greatly appreciated.
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You aren't likely to get much more helpful advice without deciding which pair of languages you want to learn. If you aren't limited by what is available from a web host that you already have, then I would suggest you use PHP and MySQL.

Have you tried using Google to find tutorials on this?
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo