1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile How can I send SMS messages from a web application??

I have a web application in PHP. I want to be able to send an SMS message from within this application on my pc. I see all these sites advertising this, and a company called Zetafax that have an addin if you want to splash out a few hundred dollars on the application and a further couple of hundred on the add in.

Does anyone know of anything around that is open source that would do the job?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Well, a lot of SMS service have an email gateway. You just fire off an smtp message and they handle the conversion. The other option that I know of involves purchasing an SMS modem. I imagine the modem would offer various smtp or http interfaces that you could use.
  5. sardonyx quinx

Please take note that configurations will also depend on your location and time.

These services needs a lot of money so if you're planning to set up this thing individually, please put your whole heart in it.

Thank you.
  7. Retired
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Certainly here in Finland, you used to be able to send e-mails to sms by mailling your phonenumber@smsgateway.operator.com

type of thing, but they nust have cottoned on to this, an dyou can't seem to do it anymore.

I know, where I work, if I am inside our company firewall, I can submit my own forms to an operators gateway and send multiple sms to people. Of course, this is very limited

There are a few things on the market, that are comparatively cheap to set up, but there are always limitations. I fit is for personal use, get a decent phone and write the SMS manually

Have you seen this ?

http://www.excell.to/

Br

Jamie

Cheers,
    Jamie

>_ skiFFie ? | Twitter

Let the might of your compassion arise to bring a quick end
    to the flowing stream of the blood and tears .....
    Please hear my anguished words of truth.

9. sardonyx quinx

I think the URL you gave is a best example of what he's looking for.

I wonder if I can use their service too. Too bad I'm not from the same country.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Well, if you're in the US (or trying to reach someone in the US) most of the providers have SMS gateway servers. The only one I know off the top of my head is mobile.att.net. Send an email to 5555555555@mobile.att.net and it gets sent to the phone number 555-555-5555.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo