1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Directing users based on state

I am going to be taking an existing site and trying to improve and simplify it. Our customers are required to buy only through their regional representatives. Currently, they are required to enter their area code, then their state. They are then directed to the appropriate rep's shopping cart where they select their order. After this, the shopping cart asks for their state again, so that it can figure their sales tax. When they give their address, they end up entering their state the third time. I'd like ideas on how I can streamline this process.
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What server-side scripting language are you using to control the functionality of your website?
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. Senior Polecat

what is the site written in? PHP ASP ?you could pass the State as a session variable or appended to the URL and automatically populate that field on the address screen. Sales tax can all be calculated serverside and stored in another variable.
  7. No Profile Picture

The url to the site in question is http://www.mathusee.com I'm still in the learning stages, but I can already see that the setup of the shopping process could be improved.

Peter
  9. Moderator Emeritus

That still doesn't answer the question of what server-side programming language you are using (if any) to drive your site... the answer to your question is going to be dependent on the type of programming language available to you on your server.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  11. No Profile Picture

I'm sorry. I'm taking this over for someone else, and I'm greener than green. How do I find the answer to your question?
  13. Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by newname
    I'm sorry. I'm taking this over for someone else, and I'm greener than green. How do I find the answer to your question?
    Its OK.

Are you running the web server yourself, or are you outsourcing the web server to a web hosting company?

If you're outsourcing, the easiest thing to do would be to contact the web host, and ask them what programming languages they support - ask about PHP, ASP, JSP, and Perl, as those are the most common.

Also, it would be great to find out what Operating System the server is running - either Linux, Unix, or Windows - as well as what HTTPD server you're running - either Apache, IIS, or SunONE.

Otherwise, let us know if you're running the web server yourself.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Well, the main site seems to be html+javascript, and the shopping cart seems to be externally hosted and using cold fusion. The shopping cart looks like a free service, and nothing on the aitsafe.com domain has any information. It looks like the domain is registered to someone at http://mals-e.com/ which provides free shopping cart services, though. All this is leading to my point: I doubt you'll be able to pass the state on to the shopping cart. You can check with the shopping cart provider, they may be able to help you. You could also get a different shopping cart.
  17. No Profile Picture

I'm going to guess that I'm going to run into more limitations if I stick to free shopping cart services. Choosing another one, whether it's free or not, seems like a daunting task, considering the huge number of them that are available. I would be interested in finding a website which markets a company's materials through local representatives, like Math-U-See does. Nothing of that sort is coming to my mind readily. If I find one, I would have a good place to check functionality and usability.
    Thanks for the time that you took to go and look at Mathusee.com
    Peter

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo