1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I need to grant my client access to a folder buried deep on the server

I need to grant my client access to a folder buried deep on the server hosting their site…and just one particular folder. I don't want them to mess with any other files on the server.

Essentially I need them to be able to download an image from that folder.

I’m trying not to overcomplicate things for my client. I’m afraid I might scare the client by suggesting they use an FTP manager like FileZilla. (It might not be intimidating to us but it might intimidate my client).

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I could handle this?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

All you need to do is put together a small script on your site that will read in the remote file and output it to the user. The language you use to do that is pretty much up to you, but it's pretty easy to do. Should only be 3-4 lines. As a pseudo-code example...
    Code:
    Read in remove file contents
    Set correct MIME type header
    Output file contents
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If your client does not need to change the file and re-upload it, just add a new location tag to your apache configuration to point to this deeply buried folder directly. Apache will handle the rest. If they do require to re-upload it, then FTP would be your best bet.

You do know that you don't need FileZilla to download files from FTP, right? Your client can download files using FTP with any browser. You can't upload, but you can explain how to open FTP locations in Windows Explorer just like a folder view on your local PC. Mac and Linux also support viewing FTP sites as a folder view.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo