1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to appropraitely charge a client when opensource is used?

Some of the opensource shopping carts make life so easy. How can I properly charge? Just for hours, or what???
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It depends on the license of the software. Some might let you charge for it, some won't.

But from a clients point of view, if I was charged anything for software that you downloaded for free, I'd be pretty upset. Paying for the set up time and the modifications done to it would be fine because that's what the job is, but charging clients for something that you get for free does seem a bit of a stretch.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    It depends on the license of the software. Some might let you charge for it, some won't.

But from a clients point of view, if I was charged anything for software that you downloaded for free, I'd be pretty upset. Paying for the set up time and the modifications done to it would be fine because that's what the job is, but charging clients for something that you get for free does seem a bit of a stretch.
    well that is exactly the thing...I am telling them right away, "Hey, this is shareware that is free..." I am charging for my time. Most people couldn't do the mods I am doing n e way (why would I be contacted in the first place???) But I say that this thing saves me time and that saves you money, BUT it is free.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by naynay447
    Some of the opensource shopping carts make life so easy. How can I properly charge? Just for hours, or what???
    Dear Client:

Below I have provided a few links to some open source carts (insert).

If you cannot get things to work according to your satisfaction, I am available at the rate of ($Foo). Good luck, and let me know if there is anything else I can provide for you.

Regards,
    (Your name)

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by LinuxOwner
    Dear Client:

Below I have provided a few links to some open source carts (insert).

If you cannot get things to work according to your satisfaction, I am available at the rate of ($Foo). Good luck, and let me know if there is anything else I can provide for you.

Regards,
    (Your name)

lol...*like*
    Finding out they do not wanna do it, lol ;P
  11. The Queen of Typos
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I often use WordPress and Joomla in my development. While I don't charge them for the software, I do charge them for any addons and design that I do to use with the software.

For instance, for the last year I've been developing a rather large plugin for WordPress specifically for the client's use. I used WordPress as the foundation for the software because the client had some basic needs that their site:
    • Contain the ability for users to create new sites
    • Contain User Controls
    • Be simple to use
    • Contain an admin panel

WordPress Multisite was the perfect solution for their needs.

I see no need to reinvent the wheel, however I would never pass off a Wordpress site as something that I solely developed.
  13. No Profile Picture

Elk, and you are exactly right. I have been known to use the wordpress as a Framework if you will. Also, for the sake of Job Security, Wordpress is a great solution for that. Every time you turn around, a plugin needs to be updated, or most recently Wordpress has to update the core because of security concerns.

Now THAT is a way to get yourself in on $$ with a client. Do the site using a WP Framework. LoL

Nay.. You are also correct, and you can most certainly "bank" on that statement. They NEVER want to do it themselves. you have answered your own question, you charge them to accomplish a task which they did not want to do themselves.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo