1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Integrating live video streaming to website

I have a website that im planning to host in a godaddy/hostgator server. I want to display the LIVE video coming from my local cable tv in this site.

What all would i be needing to accomplish this Live streaming?

My doubts are:
    1. How do i send this live stream from my local pc to web hosting server?
    2. What kind of software/player should i install in the web hosting server that buy?
    3. What kind of hosting server plan(dedicated/shared) should i buy to host this live streaming site?
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Orbb
    1. How do i send this live stream from my local pc to web hosting server?
    There's a lot of software options out there that can do this, but most of these are for webcams, or existing video files, not as a pass-through for other video feeds so I'd guess that it's going ot be very hard to find something that can do that.

2. What kind of software/player should i install in the web hosting server that buy?
    That depends entirely on what format your data feed is provided in. When you get that figured out you can see what is available for that sort of format.

3. What kind of hosting server plan(dedicated/shared) should i buy to host this live streaming site?
    It shouldn't matter really as the hosting account should just be a pointer to the feed from your local PC.

I do have one concern though - do you have your cable TV companies permission to re-broadcast their programs? If you do that's great (just make sure that it's a full and legal agreement). If you don't, then I would suggest that you don't attempt this because it's a pretty good example of copyright theft and could land you in a few legal problems.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo