1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Creating a simple webpage to search and retrieve

Okay, so this is coming from a guy who knows nothing about web dev, and just wants to learn, via this project.

I have an excel page with columns such as:

Code:
    Col Col2 Col3
    abc    1     3
    def     4      5
    hgi      9     5
    and so on.

And I have various images in a folder with file names corresponding to 'Col' i.e. abc.jpg, def.jpg, etc.

I want to create a webpage with asks for a string from a user, searches it in Col1, then displays corresponding Col2, Col3, and the image corresponding to that Col1.

NOW, I'm not asking for what to do, but I just want to know HOW will I do this? What all tools/scripts/languages/software do I need to know to implement a system like this? I'll get to learning that straight away.

I have very little experience in web development hence a very noob-ish question.

Thanks a lot guys!

PS: If possible, also tell me if this is too complex to take up as a beginner project. I'm just doing this as a hobby, I'm not planning to go very deep into web dev (I'm an app developer+graphic designer); so I wouldn't mind it being a bit tough to do.
  3. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb Have you thought about using Wordpress?

I use Wordpress and it sounds like what you may need is a domain and a web host package and install Wordpress. This is the best way of going to get you up and going.

I have used Hostgator for my web host and you can install all kinds of graphic packaging from their install script files. Then use Wordpress to link to them. You could run them on their own, but if you intend to market them then you will need away of promoting the pictures.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for?
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Bounties
    I use Wordpress and it sounds like what you may need is a domain and a web host package and install Wordpress. This is the best way of going to get you up and going.
    Um, that's a very broad starting point for this, but I think that cyanide911 was looking for more of a technical idea of how to build the system that they are looking at, not how to set up a hosting account.

To start with, figure out what sort of languages are available for you. That will depend on what hosting account that you are going to use at the end of it all. Most hosting companies will be using Linux so you'll have PHP and probably Python and some will offer Ruby/Rails. There's a few others that can be used as well, but those are the most common. If it's a Windows server, you will probably be able to use ASP, or .NET.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If I take your specification very literally, I would say what you are asking to do is a very simple project for which you need no more than HTML and javascript. I.e., if the Excel Spreadsheet is just a table of data and that table of data isn't going to change much, all you need is to put the data into a javascript array. Make an HTML SELECT out of col1. The act of selecting can then display your image and data. You don't even need to load this up to a server. It could all be done in a single HTML/javascript file (plus your jpgs) that can be opened by your browser no matter where the file is.

I think that's a very reasonable first simple project that doesn't get you too deep into web development. In fact, even if what you are thinking is more complex, that might be a good way to get started -- not introducing new concepts until you are comfortable with those, which are pretty basic.

Things start getting more complex if (1) you actually need a live feed to an Excel spreadsheet -- then you need to figure out how the feed will work. How you will put the info into a way that a web page can use it etc. (2) If it isn't really an Excel spreadsheet, but rather that was a metaphor for "simple table of data" and you really want something like "users to create/submit/update" the data, you are now entering a fairly complex world where you need storage (MySQL is a popular solution, but there are many) and a way of retrieving the data (PHP is a popular solution, but there are many) and some programming for the interface. That's getting complex, but I would still consider it a small project. (One page, one small set of data.) So, still a reasonable "first project" if you want to touch on all those areas.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo