1. i don't do negative rep
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Client-side-only website

having been used to develop most of my websites in php, asp or asp.net using mostly server-side scripting, i've now been asked to assist the local geologists' association with their website, which is client-side-only

meaning i can only resort to HTML, JavaScript and CCS ? or do i have that wrong ? does anyone have any idea what my options are ?
    some character references
    universally acclaimed as "fundie of the worst kind"
    "the stubborn old loser whose high point of the day is making immature remarks and counting his rep points on an internet message board"
    stop bitching about lower case - it's my trademarkô
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yes, client-side-only would imply that you're limited to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. In theory, you could use Flash as well, but since it is not supported on some popular devices including iPhone and iPad, you might not want to.

Have you asked them why they're not using a server-side language? A modern website of more than 5 pages really needs to use one.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. i don't do negative rep
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Have you asked them why they're not using a server-side language? A modern website of more than 5 pages really needs to use one.
    i suspect that the site has been built by someone who's a relative novice at building websites, and maybe doesn't know any better - still, it's their site and i'll have to respect their wishes, although we still need to have an in-depth discussion as to what the limitations are for any future design
    some character references
    universally acclaimed as "fundie of the worst kind"
    "the stubborn old loser whose high point of the day is making immature remarks and counting his rep points on an internet message board"
    stop bitching about lower case - it's my trademarkô

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo