1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CName Redirect NoIndex

A client of mine has a Cname redirect for his sub-domain to another website which serves him with a white label content solution.

Example:

mywebsite.com is hosted at his web hosting

shop.mywebsite.com is cname redirected to another company serving his white label content

He wants me to set shop.mywebsite.com as noindex. Can this be done off the main site or do we need access to the physical files?
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, kpax.

If you're talking about adding a meta element to each page, what do you think?
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

Of course if I don't have access to the main files then I wouldn't do it the meta tag way....

My question is: can it be done another way or would I need to have access to the main files?
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

The answer is no. If there was some other way to do it without having access to change files on the server, people would be setting it to prevent search engines from indexing sites belonging to their competitors.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture

Right, I understand but the client does own the domain name. It's just CName redirected. Please see original post for clarification.
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Having control over the domain name does not matter. This is not a domain-name level setting.

13. No Profile Picture

Ah, ok. Thank you for the clarification.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo