1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What's the best way to learn how to develop a webpage for cellphone?

Hi there, I'm a new college graduate and currently looking for a webdesign/development job.

When I browse job advertisements, I always come across many ads that says something like "Mobile apps developer needed" or "cross-browser for Android and iPhone".

However, I don't even know what the best language to learn for the purpose is.
    Should I even learn a new language?

I have heard there are some frameworks that let me create a website for mobile browsers using only html, css, and javascript(or jQuery maybe).
    Should I take that way to go about mobile site development??
    I'm confused about how I can learn mobile site development.

I have created a couple of website so far for normal browsers on normal screens like FF or IE.
    I know HTML4.01, CSS2, a little bit about javascript and jQuery, I also know some PHP(I can create forms and carry info between pages and databases to create simple web applications.)

I will appreciate any help.

Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For the most part your languages will be the same across all of these platforms. however, their is a difference between mobile website developer and an app developer.

First you will want to set some meta settings in refference to your viewport specific to the device you are targeting. Other than that your other concerns will be with scripting languages, especially hover over events.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Mobile sites are all the rage right now.
    Problem is that they look bad on tablets.

You could always push the boat out and develop a site that displays different for Mobile, Tablet and Desktop.

I'm sure that'd help you land jobs at interview
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

typically you would deliver the same webpage for a tablet as you would a computer Just use your viewport settings to make sure your zoom is set correctly. Then if you choose to you can develop a second simple mobile page and deliver this to phones using php.

however, with today's phones you can serve them the regular version as well. I mean i leave my user-client settings to tell sites i am a computer on my phone to avoid being served those retarded mobile pages.
  9. Contributing User

Though I'm not a pro at designing or developing mobile websites, yet would like to recommend you running a check after you are done developing a site for mobile devices. Please refer : validator.w3.org/mobile/

You might also want to try testing the sites in - browserstack.com, it offers 100+ browsers to test your websites.

This should give you a list of errors that the tools fetched with reference to your website coding and development. This should ease your efforts of developing an ideal website for handheld device platforms.
    Last edited by James-A; January 4th, 2013 at 03:12 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cool Thanks

Okay, I didn't even know what the view point is but I think I can figure that out.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by portcitysoftwar
    For the most part your languages will be the same across all of these platforms. however, their is a difference between mobile website developer and an app developer.

First you will want to set some meta settings in refference to your viewport specific to the device you are targeting. Other than that your other concerns will be with scripting languages, especially hover over events.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Talking Thanks

Yeah once I overcome this problem, I'm hoping to get close to job interview.

Originally Posted by adammbsmith
    Mobile sites are all the rage right now.
    Problem is that they look bad on tablets.

You could always push the boat out and develop a site that displays different for Mobile, Tablet and Desktop.

I'm sure that'd help you land jobs at interview
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Really?

I didn't know I can just serve normal webpage for desktop screen to mobile screen.

Is that only for newer android and i-phones??

Originally Posted by portcitysoftwar
    typically you would deliver the same webpage for a tablet as you would a computer Just use your viewport settings to make sure your zoom is set correctly. Then if you choose to you can develop a second simple mobile page and deliver this to phones using php.

however, with today's phones you can serve them the regular version as well. I mean i leave my user-client settings to tell sites i am a computer on my phone to avoid being served those retarded mobile pages.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

All of these smart phones have modern web browsers. The only ones that need a mobile standards page is symbian based phones. Now that said Each OS has some quirks with websites like IOS can not run flash and android has some lacking in their javascript support.

Originally Posted by Ihatephp
    I didn't know I can just serve normal webpage for desktop screen to mobile screen.

Is that only for newer android and i-phones??
  19. No Profile Picture

copy and past the "viewport" meta tag below onto your website:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, height=device-height">

This renders the page correctly based on the screen resolution of the device being used and allows the user to zoom in and out if they need to. Hope this helps!
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you very much.
    You are legend.

Originally Posted by sheds_1
    copy and past the "viewport" meta tag below onto your website:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, height=device-height">

This renders the page correctly based on the screen resolution of the device being used and allows the user to zoom in and out if they need to. Hope this helps!
  23. No Profile Picture

even though you're off to a good start with Html4.01, it would be good to brush up to HTML5 as it would look good on the resume. Even though most clients would barely know the functional differences.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yeah

yeah, that's true.

I tried to study with Lynda.com. But I was too busy to keep doing.

And I also think many of clients wouldn't know what html 5 is lol

Originally Posted by winteriscoming
    even though you're off to a good start with Html4.01, it would be good to brush up to HTML5 as it would look good on the resume. Even though most clients would barely know the functional differences.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay.

yeah that makes sense.

Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo