1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Creating my website

Hey guys,

I am planning on creating a specific website which I won't go into details but give an overview. I do not have any knowledge in html or different coding. However I have created websites through godaddy's website builder and what not. When it comes to ideas and creativity I believe I am really strong even though I have no coding experience.

Anyways, I would like to create a website where people can create an "account" and they can share "stories" to everyone else. And the top stories that have the most thumbs up would come on the first page. Secondly, the users should be also able to upload videos.

Does anyone have any websites they can refer to me where I can do this on my own with pretty much no coding experience? I know there are so many templates and all, I would like my website to come on top however I would like to try it without all the coding.

Any help would be appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

I noticed no one replied to my post. However, I decided to learn programming myself. Can someone look at my first post (the idea of my website) and tell me what "kind" of programming I need? I know there are such things like java, html, etc. Which one do I need to learn to create a website like the one I described?

Thanks.
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It's good that you've decided to learn. You won't get far at all with something like this without knowing a whole lot about programming.

As for what language/languages to use... that's really up to you to figure out. Sounds bad to say it that way, but that's how it is. There's a lot of different things that will help you make that decision though. Things like what is available on your chosen hosting server, and how comfortable you feel with that language, will all end up helping you make a decision on one over the other. As a rough guide, you'll need to know HTML, CSS, SQL, JavaScript and at least one of PHP, Python, Java (most likely JSP), ASP, or one of the many other server-side languages that are available. You'll need to trial at least a couple to see which ones suit you and how you work.
  7. No Profile Picture

hi

Its good to know that you have taken the initiative to create a website on your own but remember before creating a website the first thing you need to know is that you need to have a command over one language. I would recommend you to start with php as I think it will turn out to be more beneficial to you and also try to learn html also as it forms the basis of creating a website. Try and visit w3schools.com it is really a great site for this purpose.

Comments on this post

• Catacaustic disagrees : Bad. You don't know if they can use PHP, and the W3Schools site is horribly old and incorrect in a whole lot of ways and should never be suggested.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

You have taken a good decision to create your website,I would suggest to go with Joomla CMS for the website as per your requirements.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In your website design, i would recommend Wordpress for you, it is easy to set up, with lots of plugin for site enhancement
  13. No Profile Picture

Its great to realize that you have taken the drive to make a site on your own yet recollect before making a site the first thing you have to know is that you have to have a charge over one dialect. I might propose you to begin with php as I suppose it will end up being more gainful to you and additionally attempt to study html likewise as it shapes the premise of making a site. Attempt and visit w3schools.com it is truly an extraordinary site for this reason.
  15. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

georgebrown12 and michaelmak110, please do not post links to that site here. There are better resources elsewhere. I recommend you read this: W3Fools: A W3Schools Intervention
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  17. No Profile Picture

Web Design

If you do no the coding means then you should go for any of the CMS like joomla, wordpress, pligg or magento. Otherwise if you like to learn the programming language means, first you should learn the HTML and CSS to develop the site as you are going to have a submission site then knowing the PHP is very important. Before doing all those things you have to design a site using web design tools.
  19. No Profile Picture

Better go for Wordpress or joomla

Originally Posted by faster789
    Hey guys,

I am planning on creating a specific website which I won't go into details but give an overview. I do not have any knowledge in html or different coding. However I have created websites through godaddy's website builder and what not. When it comes to ideas and creativity I believe I am really strong even though I have no coding experience.

Anyways, I would like to create a website where people can create an "account" and they can share "stories" to everyone else. And the top stories that have the most thumbs up would come on the first page. Secondly, the users should be also able to upload videos.

Does anyone have any websites they can refer to me where I can do this on my own with pretty much no coding experience? I know there are so many templates and all, I would like my website to come on top however I would like to try it without all the coding.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you are not sound with coding, you can simply choose CMS services with no risks. Like wordpress, Joomla and drupal like. you can get free templates or else if you have more functional part in the site, try to buy templates which are available massively online
  21. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

web design

hi..............
    its good decision to create your website .........
    so many things you learn through website .....
    firstly you would create an account then register it then develop a web page through temp lets and sharpness through php programming so your website is design.
    <removed sig drop attempt>
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; August 19th, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture

This is really a great idea.Website development is really a good source of learning.Especially while designing it's home page and other things like logo design.Anyhow thanks for the nice contribution.
    Last edited by Kravvitz; July 30th, 2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: removed fake signature
  25. No Profile Picture
    Banned

I just use a wordpress theme to help design a site.
    anyone like me?
    And there is still any problems for me to handle the problem.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Wordpress is the best option. you can do lot more things that you require in your website. It is easy and good platform and side by side learn programming.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Banned

If you don't know much programming then go for wordpress. It is great site where you can add number of plugins to create a website according to your requirements.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo