1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Seeking advice on how to approach new website.

Hello thanks for taking the time to read my post.

It would be beneficial to explain what I am trying to do, but let me just qualify this by saying i'm willing to take as much time as it needs to do this correctly. I have a VAGUE idea of the load of work i'm about to take on, I'm willing to do the dirty work of teaching myself.

~~~~

This is what I need from my website.

I want to create a forum for the members of my college poetry club to come and post their writings.

I want these members to log into the website with a username and password which will be linked to a profile where there can send and receive private messages to each other.

Lastly and lease important, I was hoping to include some sort of live chat functionality.

~~~~

My question is where do I start the learning process.

unrelated:
    As of now I'm comfortable moving about inside my domain hosting file system. I've spent about 2 hours fiddling around with wordpress and achieved a load of nothing, as I couldn't figure out if it was just a tool I could use to solve the design side of the website, leaving the email and forum functionality for later. I'm not really interested in throwing out a website my members can't participate in by submitting writings ans such. I think I understand the relationship between CSS and design and beginner level HTML.

Any thought or opinion how I can go about this will be greatly worshiped.
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

For this I'd suggest looking at either forum software (like PHPBB or SMF) or look at WordPress again, but use it with the BuddyPress plugin which will give you the members areas and a more "social" site. There's other things out there, but if you don't want to use a pre-written package for something like this you'd need to start from scratch and write it all yourself which is not an easy task - but if you want to learn how to program it's a great starting project.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo