1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

When is designing a site with a CMS overkill?

I've had customers come to me throughout the years wanting sites that they say they need to be able to have full control of because they want to be to able to update, add, edit content on a regular basis and don't want to have to bother me about it.

My issue is that in all reality, building a site using one of the CMS's out there is a pain in the a$$, at least for me, because I spend an awful lot of time trying to figure out which files are the ones that need to be tweaked in order to do something small and in general, I just feel very out of control with it. In 90% of the cases so far, the client has done nothing with the site except let it sit there as a static site and I've wasted my time for nothing.

I get that they don't want to have to rely on me to update content should they need to, but it feels, at least to me, that it's easier to just 'cut and paste' what ever it is they want updated, than to spend the hours tweaking a CMS to make the site look right from the beginning.

Since I'm fairly sure it would only be a small handful of people who would want to make these changes anyway (besides myself it would maybe be 3 others) I'm happy to strike some kind of medium (if there is one) where the page content itself is editable by users other than me (on the backend) but that the layout, menu items, coding etc, remains only something I can do (from the backend like any developer).

Any opinions on what is the best course of action?
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

So you want a CMS without having a CMS...

If you don't know the CMS that you're using, find one that you do know, or take the time to learn one. In the long run (4 or 5 projects max) it will work out for you and you'll be faster and feel a lot more "in control". It will also give your clients a lot more control over what they can do.

I do understand from your point of view that most clients can't/don't want to do updates themselves. It's the same for me. We've got maybe two clients out of all of ours that can do updates themselves, and the rest still come back to me to do updates for them even though all of our sites are based on a CMS.

Comments on this post

• mytwocents agrees : Thank you!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    So you want a CMS without having a CMS...

If you don't know the CMS that you're using, find one that you do know, or take the time to learn one. In the long run (4 or 5 projects max) it will work out for you and you'll be faster and feel a lot more "in control". It will also give your clients a lot more control over what they can do.

I do understand from your point of view that most clients can't/don't want to do updates themselves. It's the same for me. We've got maybe two clients out of all of ours that can do updates themselves, and the rest still come back to me to do updates for them even though all of our sites are based on a CMS.
    Ha...yeah, I guess I want cms without cms But as you said, it drives me crazy that I go through the steps of creating templates and make them work to look like they want it to (something that takes me half the time if I do it on my own without the cms...this might be because I just don't use cms' enough to master it though) and then I end up updating their stuff anyway. I think step 1 is probably to find out who from their company is tech enough to do it themselves and who is going to take the time to learn how to do it before I make it easy for them to do it, when they have no one to do it

Thanks for your response...great help
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mytwocents
    My issue is that in all reality, building a site using one of the CMS's out there is a pain in the a$$, at least for me, because I spend an awful lot of time trying to figure out which files are the ones that need to be tweaked in order to do something small and in general, I just feel very out of control with it. In 90% of the cases so far, the client has done nothing with the site except let it sit there as a static site and I've wasted my time for nothing.
    That's why I decided to build my own CMS.
    It has less features than say Joomla, yes, but most of those my customers require and I know where to put my hands quickly if a new one is required.
    Last edited by freak.inside; September 19th, 2013 at 05:00 AM.
    All generalizations are false, including this one. Free hosting
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

yes, its great to create your own CMS whic will very convenient to you for your work...

Keep it up
  11. No Profile Picture

I will advise that use Magento, Drupal or Expression Engine it will help you to make website more effective and also they have a nice feature and addons. So you can make use of it to make website more attractive.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo