1. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Question Cannot upload images to wp-content/uploads/

Hello,

iam trying for hours to upload some image either form WP-Admin and also via FileZilla and both methos fail.

Σφάλμα: set attrs 777 for /home/costas/public_html/test/wp-content/uploads/2013/12: permission denied
    Κατάσταση: Ανάκτηση λίστας φακέλου...
    Εντολή: cd "/home/costas/public_html/test/wp-content/uploads"
    Απάντηση: New directory is: "/home/costas/public_html/test/wp-content/uploads"

Chaning permission of the folder fails and uploading any kinf od file to that same fodler fails.

why is this happening and how can i overcome it?
    What is now proved was once only imagined!
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

That's a standard and very common issue that WordPress encounters. It means that the directory that you're trying to write the image files to doesn't have write permissions, so the write request is failing. Seeing as how changing permissions have failed like that I'd say that it's a server issue, and you'll need to talk to your hosts about what they can do because unless you have them grant you permissions you can't do anything.
  5. Contributing User

Actually iam the root of the unmanaged VPS plan.

'chmod -R 777 /home/costas/www/wp-content/'

as root seemed to do the trick, while trying to alter permission via FileZilla failed.

AI'am happy it worked but i'm bit of worried leaving 2 wordpress websites exposed in public with full read/write/execute access.

Also it's still unclear to me as to why tryoing to alter folder permission via FileZilla failed.
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9

What username did you use to log into the FTP server? If it's root, then it should have worked. If it didn't... I'd be more worried about what's happening (wrongly) on the server then about changing file permissions.

And you are right about leaving the folders open. That can be dangerous. It's not quite as bad on a VPS that you have complete control over as it is if you're using a shared server, but still not good.

What control panel software are you using? All of the servers that I'm running now are running cPanel/WHM and that sorts out the permissions issues like this correctly. I've never had a problem uploading files through WordPress, and never had issues changing file permissions through FTP (unless someone else broke them in the first place, but that's another story...). As far as I know most other commercial control panels have the same features so that people can use them correctly with out issues like this.
  9. Contributing User

i have logged into FTP server with a normal user account and couldn'r alter permission in 'wp-content/uploads/2013 and its usbfolder.

But SSH'ed as root allow me to chmod -R.

Shouldnt a normal user account alter the file perms of anhy file or folder?
    And why it this specific directory i was denied the alternation of its permission?
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Who knows? It's your server. You should be able to know why it's doing that. I'm not a server tech, so I don't get that involved in these things myself so I can't you to many answers that a real server tech would be able to, but I have a feeling that you'd need someone to actually look through the server set up to see how it's been done.
  13. Contributing User

Because my current proivider just doesnt care to help, can you suggest me a good & reliable hosting solution?
  15. Code Monkey V. 0.9

I'm not going to suggest a hosting provider. Mainly because any time anyone even mentions that the thread deteriorates into a free-for-all-SPAM-fest of useless hosting links that are essentially worthless.

One thing to remember with VPS's and dedicated servers... The management is up to you. That's part of the deal. Unless you pay for a fully managed server, then you're the one responsible. Your hosting company doesn't have to give you any assistance at all - because you haven't paid them to.

All that I'd suggest is look for a management plan, and find a host that can give you support. Just remember that the cost will be higher, and that's the price that you have to pay.
  17. Contributing User

Yes i have already bear this in mind.
    But i insist if you have any good web hosting solution that will provide semi-support please drop me a private message.

You could help me choose, there are so many out there.....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo