1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to speed up development time of wordpress sites?

We are a web agency that build WordPress sites for our clients.
    We don't use templates as we are known for bespoke custom designs. We mock up a number of pages in Photoshop first.
    Typical sites are brochure style, 10 - 15 pages using 3 - 4 page styles. We lay out all the content for our clients & ensure the sites work well across mobiles.

The issue we face is these sites are taking a long time to develop typically 60 - 100 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions for how we can bring this dev time down?
    It seems high for what is a CMS driven brochure site. Secondly does anyone have any benchmarks for how WP sites using custom design should take? Difficult I know…

We're open to using other CMS.

Any tip of suggestions will be highly appreciated.
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

For a full-custom design and set up website, that's not a bad time.

If you want to get the time down for each site, give up on doing your custom work, and move into pre-made themes and plugins. That's the only way that you're going to improve development times. There's a reason that custom work is more expensive then "theme" work... it takes longer to do.

Of course, there could be a flaw in your companies workflow, but without a whole mess of specific details that would be far to much for the scope of this forum it's impossible to say.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I had made it my mission to learn wordpress untill i stumpled on codeigniter CMS systems like FUELCMS ,PYROCMS and MOJOMOTOR .Changed my life, they are so easy and quick to deploy.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses.

I have an additional enquiry.

What if we give a lot of weight in custom designs, and don't exactly want to limit the designers' creativity to certain template grids, maybe there's a specific framework for that, or is said framework still okay to use?
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you're already doing full custom designs then the only limit is what the designers come to you with and how well you and your team can cut up those designs to fit into the templating system. There's not much that can't be done if you want to do it.

Oh, and as a bit of a disclaimer... Everything suggested by rhodoscoder has nothing at all to do with WordPress so if you're sticking with WordPress forget about those other systems.
  11. No Profile Picture

Arrow

To speed up WordPress site development - You may use CodeKit or GIT.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo