1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which development language(s) would be needed of a contract developer on my project?

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any advice you can contribute. My company is planning for a web development project that'll we'll contract for. My question is, what is the best development approach to this project (i.e. what skills should I require that a developer have)?

Currently our web hosting environment and other web projects are LAMP-based. We'd like to stay open source for this project too but if MS development is the best approach, that's okay too if someone would just explain what kind of investment is required to put a MS solution in place, from a licensing perspective.

Interactive web portal to consolidate and display data from:

Inventory databases (e.g., Nagios, Solarwinds)
    Help Desk ticketing database (Oracle)
    Various other MS SQL and Oracle databases, including MS SCOM/SCCM

In addition to consolidating data for display on the site, we'll also create a dynamic interactive environment to process the Help Desk ticketing data for end user responses or escalation requests, equipment inventories and order processing to maintain a real time update for each business location's users to be able to do both view the status of the IT environment and act on notices, such as:

- React to Help Desk tickets and do things such as escalate the ticket (write back to the HD ticket DB) or press a button to tell an equipment ordering software to place an order.
    - Click a button to escalate (communicate) a problem directly to an outside vendor for dispatch
    - get forwarded to a tutorial site for instructions on basic system troubleshooting
    - acknowledge an alert (write back to a Nagios / Solarwinds database)

Basically a web portal hub for all things IT equipment related, with database feeds for viewing statuses and interaction with those databases and external communications for action / reaction.

This site would need to scale up to a 1000 simultaneous users with 50,000+ IT devices being observed.

Thanks again!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

From looking at your requirements I would be less concerned with what languages and technology the developer has experience with, and more concerned if they've ever done anything this larger before.

Most languages and technology stacks can probably scale up to this, but if the developer has never worked on something that large... "some one's gonna get hurt real bad"
  5. No Profile Picture

I agree with someGuyGatsby.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo