1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

where to start - software

Hi

I'm trying to learn how to create a website and i need a bit of guidance on software.

I've begun with wordpress, simply because i'm told its quite easy to learn. However I'm thinking that maybe I won't have as much freedom as I would if i were to use, say dreamweaver.

I'm just looking for a bit of guidance before i fork out the money!

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture

Hey! I'm new at this too, but I started with wix, then wordpress, and then finally wound up with squarespace and I'm never leaving. They are so classy, new, and easy, plus they aren't terribly expensive, and their online chat help rocks. I'd give them a look!
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What you use will depend on a few factors:

1. Requrements (static site, CMS, e-commerce, etc)
    2. Skill level
    3. Timeframe
    4. Budget

If you need something more than a set of static pages, you should start off with a CMS as this will make your life a lot easier in the long run. I would recommend WordPress as it is easy enough to use, and the learning curve isn't quite as huge as other systems.

There's a huge range of things that could possibly influence what you end up using, so it's very very hard to say what you will definitely need without knowing exactly how you want it to end up.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Super Moderator
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you end up trying to learn to write clean straight scripting, most my friends and I have either ended up using PSPad (my pref) or Notepad++.
    He who knows not that he knows not is a fool, ignore him. He who knows that he knows not is ignorant, teach him. He who knows not that he knows is asleep, awaken him. He who knows that he knows is a leader, follow him.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hey! I'm also new on this, but I started with wix, then WordPress, and then finally wound with squarespace and I'm never going to get them pretty, new and easy, plus they are not very expensive, and their Online chat helps the rocks I will give them a look!
  11. No Profile Picture

First you need to learn a language, If you don't know any language than you can use simply by wordpress because it is great and you can create simple websites with the help of it. But you should also use any code checked so that your coding will be secure.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo