Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is CDN worth paying?

Hi guys,

I am quite new to the field, but how can I measure effect of CDN on page load time?

Important part of my audience is from Great Britain, so how can I measure improvements of any CDN in advance? I offer premium glamour photos and HD videos, so speed is extremely important and I need to be sure it will work well.

I have experience only with CDN77 (because only they offer free trial), can you recommend any other CDN based on your experience? I need something to compare. Another problem is they usually don`t have pricing on their websites.

Eagerly waiting for feedback!
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

It is worth to use a CDN as it saves a lot of bandwidth and load on any resource demanding websites and servers. On top of this the Internet users get to the website or app content faster.The one you mentioned looks interesting. Who's network they use?
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor
  5. No Profile Picture

CDN77.com uses OnApp network I believe. I am really satisfied: easy to setup, powerful user interface, friendly prices. Overall best think is Video CDN with instant seeking. Don't have feedback from users yet, but this is killing feature.

I can also recommend Webpagespeed.org, where you can test improvements in speed in advance.
  7. Contributing User

Well... you see... CDN77 is on OnApp. OnApp does not have their own network and are most probably on Level3. So one is better to go directly with Level3, I guess!
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fcolor
    Well... you see... CDN77 is on OnApp. OnApp does not have their own network and are most probably on Level3. So one is better to go directly with Level3, I guess!
    I am not fluent in technical background, but I am sure they don't just resell Level3. I know for sure they cooperate with OnApp (see video on OnApp website), but POPs are their own.
  11. Contributing User

Sure Thomas, they might leverage on top of OnnApp's account, which uses Level3 and to offer their own products. I do not know what do you mean by saying "POPs are their own". If any company offers these POP's it probably makes more sense to establish its own network. Are you saying that the company you have mentioned has its own equipment in all the locations listed on the map?

PS: These are your first posts and it looks like you are acting in favor of any specific company or product. it is not true that "only they offer free trial". many other CDNs offer trial periods!
  13. No Profile Picture

PS: These are your first posts and it looks like you are acting in favor of any specific company or product. it is not true that "only they offer free trial". many other CDNs offer trial periods!
    I am not aware of any other really free trial, without giving personal or business contacts. Try to look at Highwinds trial sign up form and compare it with CDN77 trial sign up form... I hope you get my point, I don't want to deal with any sales or support guys etc.

I find their attitude more developer friendly.
  15. Contributing User

Search for tother CDNs. They give you trials and you'd compare. The one you are promoting might offer an excellent product, but how do you know this if you do not compare it with any other CDNs.
  17. No Profile Picture

Sure Thomas, they might leverage on top of OnnApp's account, which uses Level3 and to offer their own products.
    When browsing this forum I found out lot of CDN providers are just resellers of bigger providers (CDN77 = OnApp, MaxCDN = NetDNA and so on), but prices and associated services seems appealing. Does it really matters? What are pros / cons? On first sight it seems that resellers offer better services for smaller websites, which are not so interesting for established players. Lot of these big networks don't have public prices.
  19. No Profile Picture

I am using maxcdn now, and I am satisfied with it. Also, price is quite good for services.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hybridservers
    I am using maxcdn now, and I am satisfied with it. Also, price is quite good for services.
    Do they offer trial?
  23. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    For what it is worth, we use Akamai Technologies ourselves. For the volume of traffic that we do and the regions we cover, it is well worth the money. They are also used by a lot of the larger tech firms around (Microsoft, Google, Blizzard, Apple, Facebook etc.)

Your mileage may vary, of course.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  25. No Profile Picture

Akamai is Rolls Royce, I need something like bike Do you think it makes sense for small website to reach them?
  27. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by thomasmann
    Do they offer trial?
    I order it maybe 4 months ago. There was discount, only 1 $ price, also you can get 1$ back. Now I do not see any discount there..
  29. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hybridservers
    I order it maybe 4 months ago. There was discount, only 1 $ price, also you can get 1$ back. Now I do not see any discount there..
    Yeah I saw they offer lot of time limited coupons and promos. I am not discount hunter but it really is attractive

Anyway I found CDN77.com model much more useful. Pay as you go solution fits my needs. There is no year long contract, I don't have to prepay anything. I would appreciate if their model would become industry standard. Try it with free trial, then add credit card and pay what you consume.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo