1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

It is recommended to keep your domain and hosting seperate.
  3. No Profile Picture

To choose a reliable hosting and domain name you will need to check the reviews of that host, tech support/chat is 24 * 7 or not and do they have good skills, plus also check their offers and in which data center their servers are. You can also check by just taking a trial pack and check their service.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I myself choose well known and famous web hosting companies for hosting my sites. For example i worked with hostgator and its very good. Also i have an experience with Bodhost and its not good. When i want to choose a web hosting, i contact with them and ask my questions then decide about buying server from them. I think its the best way for choosing a server provider. Also sharing experiences in forums like this, is another good way for knowing more about different hosting companies.
    Last edited by socialbook; April 6th, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
    Website Value Calculator
    Dofollow Social Bookmarking
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by CrocWeb
    It is recommended to keep your domain and hosting seperate.
    Why so? I am just wondering because I do not understand how hosting and domain registration work.

For example, if you purchase a domain with godaddy.com, then you host with name.com? Is this possible? How do you do this? Don't you have to also have the site hosted at the place that you purchased the domain?

And I noticed a lot of hosting providers have website templates that they want their customers to use, but my question is:

--can customers use an FTP client like Fetch or CyberDuck (both for Mac), or WinSCP (for windows) to access their site and then upload via these FTP clients? And can they upload anything they want with their sites being any kind of design and not only the templates provided by the hosting company?

Finding a host is such tedious work! I wish I knew more about it.
  9. No Profile Picture

anyone?
    Originally Posted by CLEN
    Why so? I am just wondering because I do not understand how hosting and domain registration work.

For example, if you purchase a domain with godaddy.com, then you host with name.com? Is this possible? How do you do this? Don't you have to also have the site hosted at the place that you purchased the domain?

And I noticed a lot of hosting providers have website templates that they want their customers to use, but my question is:

--can customers use an FTP client like Fetch or CyberDuck (both for Mac), or WinSCP (for windows) to access their site and then upload via these FTP clients? And can they upload anything they want with their sites being any kind of design and not only the templates provided by the hosting company?

Finding a host is such tedious work! I wish I knew more about it.
  11. They're coming to take me away

You can purchase with 1 domain and host with another. The main reason I do that, is so that I have all of my domains together.

Many web hosts that offer domain registration offer limited functionality as far as their domain goes.

You don't have to use the templates companies provide. They provide them as an incentive for customers to use their services. They also may place ads and such on your website, so read through the terms before using them.

You should be able to use any FTP client to upload the files. And no, you don't have to use their templates. You can create an entire site on your own and upload and use that instead of what is offered through the webhost.

In finding a host, make sure you get the features needed. Some people may require a Windows host and others Linux... so make sure you know what you want and need before making the purchase. Also, there are a lot of terrible hosts out there, so look up reviews on various sites. Don't go for anything that says Unlimited (Bandiwdth or storage)
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  13. No Profile Picture

finding a reliable host

. the only real way to find a sucessful host is look for reviews from theyre current customers, the more negative feedback they recieve, the more you should avoid them...

the cheaper hosts 9 out of 10 have rediculus uptime, you may only be paying a couple of bux a month, but thats still no good if your site is down 50% of the time. So when choosing a host, look for midrange priced host with money back guarantee then you have nothing to lose

The other thing to watch out for is Reseller Webhosts, even tho most of them are reliable, you usually have to pay a fair bit more for the same service

Main thing is look for positive feedback towards the site, and you should be alright

Jonno
    =)
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by siddu jalagam
    How do I choose reliable web hosting and domain name?
    Most hosting platforms will have a trial period in which you can test out their reliability. They will also give you a list of their high profile sites on their systems. Most keep track of the traffic hogs as it's a great way for them to attest their own stability.
    So to answer your question
    1) Check about their remote capabilities to manage your hosting.
    2) Check out their largest clients and some big sites on their systems.
    3) Test out their hosting for 30 days or so and give their support a test
    4) Check out forums where people talk about services.
    5) Check out places and make sure people aren't complaining of overselling or crowding out servers.
    6) Check out the abilities to move servers or add more memory
  17. No Profile Picture

Re

The best domain name has the following characteristics:

Short - not the kind of people! Short domain name to be more easily enter and memory.
    Meaningful - What is the short field irrelevant or 34i4nh.com Note that it is not easy. These people understand the options on your site.
    Clear - Clear is important when selecting a domain name. Avoid using a name, it is difficult to explain or pronunciation.
    Exposure - a short catchy name is an advantage. Inspection of visitors and search engines. Search engines to index your site and conditions for people to find meaning in the rankings. A search with your area, including access to your account in order to increase web site. However, it is clear, if it contains a short and meaningful domain name, of course, only my thoughts.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by siddu jalagam
    How do I choose reliable web hosting and domain name?
    1) Check about their remote capabilities to manage your hosting. 2) Check out their largest clients and some big sites on their systems.
    3) Test out their hosting for 30 days or so and give their support a test!
    4) Check out forums where people talk about services
    5) Check out places and make sure people aren't complaining of overselling or crowding out servers.
  21. No Profile Picture

domain name and host

you have to find out a domain name which is closely related to your business it can b any important keyword. This is important in term of SEO.

to select the host you have to do some research compare different hosting companies and there plan. Also check user feedback you can make sure quality of hosting company.
  23. No Profile Picture

there are many ways, u have to do research on internet. search on Google you will get many ways...
  25. No Profile Picture

host

Originally Posted by hindlist
    There are many web host companies but what you have to look more importantly is that:
    1) Is it providing good customer support by phone or support ticket
    2) Is it up time 24*7
    3) Is providing free malware protection
    4)Is it providing shield against hackers.
    You have to have information on all these then at last comes the cost factor as almost all web hosts charge almost equal or negligible amount compared.

That's what I suggest you, always look out for these services. The best and reliable hosting companies always offer these services to provide you quality services.
  27. No Profile Picture

When choosing web hosting provider be sure to deal with time-tested and trusted web hosting provider.
  29. No Profile Picture

Technical support is the backbone of every Hosting Provider, so a reliable host must have a free 24x7 technical support. Apart from this a reliable host should offer a good uptime and different packages to suit your website requirements.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo