1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cloud Scalability Option?

For Cloud hosting it is important to provide scalable option.

However, I see that for most cloud providers, they only provide standard package like 1 Core, 2 Core, 4 Cores etc, each with allocated amount of RAM, instead of letting user customize their own requirement from scratch. May I know what may be the reason for doing so?

And also hope you can feedback on the scalability option on CPU Cores and Bandwidth:

For CPU core, will it be better to provide based on number of Cores per month, or based on usage of the core per hour?

And for bandwidth scalability, will it be better to provide based on amount of bandwidth subscribed, eg: 200GB for the month, or based on shared bandwidth or dedicated bandwidth, eg. 10Mbps shared?
  3. No Profile Picture

Most providers do not have the infrastructure from a control panel standpoint to allow users to do this. A proper cloud hosting provider would only require the user to purchase a minimum base plan, i.e. a minimum CPU core, RAM. The user would be able to scale up as and when required. I would define a true cloud provider being able to charge the number of cores by the hour.
  5. Contributing User

Providing the maximum number of CPU cores or RAM depends upon the infrastructure used to setup Cloud. If the setup architecture used by Hosting provider is big then he can scale the resources upto a greater extent. As Cloud is highly scalable, so you can scale up or down your resources at any point if time. You can set them as minimum and upgrade the resources as the load on your website increase.
  7. No Profile Picture

Cloud servers generally provide the individual sacalability option whierein you can individually upgrade or downgrade the resources like CPU, RAM, bandwidth or the space.
    In some cases the hosting providers do not offer this option of individual scalability.
  9. No Profile Picture

There is a feature in the cloud systems called "Auto scaling". This allows a server to increase its resource usage as the load on the server increased. With other plans, you would have to manually tell the server to increase or decrease the amount of CPU (and number of cores) its using.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo