1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Create a web site just using code (no tools/builders)

Hi All,

I've done the tutorials, evening classes, LAMP server and a virtual server on my desktop PC, but there is still one thing that I'm not sure of:

When I rent some "space" off a web hosting company, what do I get? Is it like a brand new PC with Ubuntu server or something installed, where I can just SSH into and do what I want?

All of the web hosting companies that I have looked at, go on and on about their web site builders and control panels and I'm afraid of ending up in a situation where I have to use their own tools/templates similar to wix.com.

Am I looking at the wrong type of web hosting companies or is my text editor strategy outdated?

Many thanks for your help,

airtac
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by airtac
    Hi All,

I've done the tutorials, evening classes, LAMP server and a virtual server on my desktop PC, but there is still one thing that I'm not sure of:

When I rent some "space" off a web hosting company, what do I get? Is it like a brand new PC with Ubuntu server or something installed, where I can just SSH into and do what I want?

All of the web hosting companies that I have looked at, go on and on about their web site builders and control panels and I'm afraid of ending up in a situation where I have to use their own tools/templates similar to wix.com.

Am I looking at the wrong type of web hosting companies or is my text editor strategy outdated?

Many thanks for your help,

airtac
    Web hosting companies may offer extras such as a website template or builder, but they shouldn't require them. It's just an "added feature" to help make them more appealing, especially for those that don't know the first thing about making a site. You should still be able to just hand code your site and upload it normally.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for clearing that up hiker, I'll get on it ASAP.

airtac
  7. No Profile Picture

Just to clear things up for anyone who has the same problem as I had:

There are three different types of hosting available:

Shared hosting - cheapest, for small websites. Your website will be sharing a computer with many others. eg GoDaddy.com (sorry not aloud links yet)

Virtual Private Server (VPS) - more expensive. You will have your own virtual server that you can SSH into, similar to having a VirtualBox OS on your own desktop PC. eg linode.com.

Dedicated servers - rediculously expensive. You will have your own physical server somewhere or you could use a spare/old PC in your home. It's really only for massive websites.

I'm no expert so please reply if I'm in error.

airtac
  9. No Profile Picture

Don't worry so much, using hosting service isn't awful, besides you can upload pages of your site designed by you, no one forces you to to use their builders or other like that softwares.
  11. Autodidact
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

airtac, don't forget colocation--for extra control and eventual cost-effective benefits!
    Soldiers, from the height of these pyramids forty centuries look down upon you.
    ▪ Napoleon, on the eve of the Battle of the Pyramids

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo