1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dedicated Server - Run windows & linux?

Can I run both Windows & Linux on a dedicated server? I currently have a website hosted on a shared hosting Linux web server (uses PHP, MySQL). I want to use RED5, which seems a bit tricky to set up.

Why Windows?

I would feel more comfortable installing RED5 on a windows server (I think it'd be easier for me, no experience with Linux command line etc.).

Why Linux?

I'd prefer to keep the existing PHP/MySQL website on Linux because I have Apache specific settings.
  3. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

Easiest way would be run windows and then use a virtualization software (vmware.com) to host a linux off of the windows box.

but since it is 2 seperate machines, integrating would be dificult unless you know some serious clustering or something.

There is quite a few resources for installing red5 on linux that gives you step by step comands.
    Centos: http://www.nabble.com/installation-of-Red5-on-Centos-4.5-td14577134.html
    Fedora: http://osflash.org/red5/fc4

Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Brian Kearney, CEO Stealthy Hosting Inc
    Shared/Reseller/Dedicated Hosting Http://StealthyHosting.com
    Please Contact us for VPS/Colo pricing.
    Email: sales@stealthyhosting.com Phone: 253-880-1233
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by brianbak
    Easiest way would be run windows and then use a virtualization software (vmware.com) to host a linux off of the windows box.

but since it is 2 seperate machines, integrating would be dificult unless you know some serious clustering or something.

There is quite a few resources for installing red5 on linux that gives you step by step comands.
    Centos: http://www.nabble.com/installation-of-Red5-on-Centos-4.5-td14577134.html
    Fedora: http://osflash.org/red5/fc4

Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Wow, you are very helpful..thank you. I guess it's time for me to get my hands dirty with linux. Would virtualization software not be a lot slower for HTTP requests etc.?
  7. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

Usually not if you have a beffy enough server.

I really think your best bet is to go full linux. Might want to take a crash corse on how to use "yum" in linux. will help alot with installing basic things like apache. Or if you can afford a Cpanel license, even if you dont use it for selling webhosting, just using it to manage services/domains/DNS and stuff can be a life savor.
  9. No Profile Picture

Should you go linux, take plesk since they have a free license for just one website. There also also others like directadmin which are very cheap.
  11. HostedInside.com

Just go with Linux only forget about windows and plesk.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello,

IMHO you should decide and choose one platform which will be much better for you - Linux or Windows.
    If you find a Linux admin to install what you would like it will be much better to keep the Linux. The other option could be to get Windows hosting server and to install MySQL, PHP, and Apache on it.

Regards
    http://www.windowshostingasp.net/ - Free ASP.NET Web hosting resources and information.
  15. No Profile Picture

I thought its possible with some hosting providers.But A Linux dedicated server is a dedicated server that uses Linux as an operating program, an alternative to Windows. Linux dedicated servers are perfect for high traffic websites, companies requiring full control over resources, or multiple websites.
  17. No Profile Picture

Do not try to have 2 OS in 1 server, you will have strange technical issues. Instead, if you want both, you need just have 2 servers (since there are lots of very cheap dedicated servers around)
  19. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

but u can have both windows and linux in the same system through dual partition .

u can use whichever u need , no need of removing
  21. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

Except he wants to run both at the same time. Please actually read the post not just post an answer to raise post count.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo