1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dedicated Server Spec

Currently i have a VPS and lately it sees that even thought my own CPU is 88% idle my connection to my site, RDP and overall server is lagging like crazy.. I'm guessing because maybe they added a new server to the list of the VPS ones we share..

so i'm thinking of going to dedicated.. i saw one with the following specs:
    * Opteron 1352
    * 4 x 2.1 GHz
    * 4 GB RAM
    * 2 x 750 GB HW-RAID

Will this suffice for running windows 2008 server, IIS and also MySQL on it? averaging around 200thousand visits a month.. and around 2.8 million impressions a month..

at what sort of traffic should you consider separating the Mysql on it's own server?

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture

Dedicated Servers

VPS hosting is good and is somewhat comparable to a dedicated server, only if it is provided by a very reliable host. It usually costs $60/mo for a befitting VPS. It may be advisable to move onto dedicated server for extreme performance.

By looking at specs of the dedicated server you mentioned, I would say that it would be very sufficient for running windows 2008 server, IIS and MySQL. 200 thousand visits per month should be a piece of cake for this. However, it would be best if you also verify with the dedicated server hosting provider through their live chat. Though in my opinion it's quite enough.

It's imperative that you get your dedicated server from any one of the most popular dedicated server hosting providers e.g. RackSpace(bit expensive), HostGator or theplanet.

You might also like to consider cloud hosting. Just Google " Amazon Cloud" or "RackSpace Cloud" they are extremely good in terms of service quality, and probably cost effective too, as you only have to pay for the amount of bandwidth that you use. I know a website with 20 million visitors a month (yes 20 M), it used to be on amazon cloud back then. I can share it's address with you, with proof of traffic, if you like.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by shoombool_tala
    Will this suffice for running windows 2008 server, IIS and also MySQL on it? averaging around 200thousand visits a month.. and around 2.8 million impressions a month..

at what sort of traffic should you consider separating the Mysql on it's own server?

thanks
    Yes it will run your application and sites. I dont think you can determine seperating mysql to its own server based simply on traffic. The only person who can give you advice on this is someone with more in-depth knowledge on your site and the server resources that it's using. A good knowledgable hosting provider who is hosting your website will be able to advise you on this.
  7. No Profile Picture

VPS hosting is good if it is provided by a reliable host and for those who is having a low budget. For extreme performance just move to dedicated server.
  9. Contributing User

You know dedi is always better than a VPS deal.
    I have seen some low cost and decent dedis from proaxxs.net, they offer FREESETUP voucher on them.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by shoombool_tala
    Currently i have a VPS and lately it sees that even thought my own CPU is 88% idle my connection to my site, RDP and overall server is lagging like crazy.. I'm guessing because maybe they added a new server to the list of the VPS ones we share..

so i'm thinking of going to dedicated.. i saw one with the following specs:
    * Opteron 1352
    * 4 x 2.1 GHz
    * 4 GB RAM
    * 2 x 750 GB HW-RAID

thanks
    Without knowing what scripts your running, that server should be sufficient
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks for sharing!!!
  15. No Profile Picture

I believe the specs you've listed are quite suitable, but I would reocmmend that you go for a fully managed dedicated server instead. It'll give you 24/7 support and a lot more server resources will be at your disposal.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo