1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is there any disadnatage of switching hosting service from one host to another?

hi folks, currently my website is hosted at hostgator and i am supposed to renew it, but as you know when you renew a website you dont get any discount unlike the first time you hire the hosting space. so i was thinking what if i move my site from hostgator to some other hosting service, ill get the discount. but are there any disadvantages to this strategy?
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by joyceanblue
    hi folks, currently my website is hosted at hostgator and i am supposed to renew it, but as you know when you renew a website you dont get any discount unlike the first time you hire the hosting space. so i was thinking what if i move my site from hostgator to some other hosting service, ill get the discount. but are there any disadvantages to this strategy?
    Not really unless you go with a worse host. Compare features of your current host vs. one you're considering transferring to. If your site is done in php, make sure it supports it... web space, email accts, etc...

But is the discount really worth the hassle of moving from one host to another should be a question you're asking yourself. Hosts are generally pretty cheap unless you need a ton of space, bandwidth, extra features, etc. And a lot of the time, the discount is for the first month or first few months.. which doesn't really equate to a whole lot if you've got a standard hosting package.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    Not really unless you go with a worse host. Compare features of your current host vs. one you're considering transferring to. If your site is done in php, make sure it supports it... web space, email accts, etc...

But is the discount really worth the hassle of moving from one host to another should be a question you're asking yourself. Hosts are generally pretty cheap unless you need a ton of space, bandwidth, extra features, etc. And a lot of the time, the discount is for the first month or first few months.. which doesn't really equate to a whole lot if you've got a standard hosting package.
    well ill save approx 20$ yearly, plus ill get unlimited domains plus a free domain registration if i move to some service like justhost. and my site is a personal profile sorta site, there is hardly any database just a simple flash site.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by joyceanblue
    well ill save approx 20$ yearly, plus ill get unlimited domains plus a free domain registration if i move to some service like justhost. and my site is a personal profile sorta site, there is hardly any database just a simple flash site.
    I'm not comparing them for you.. don't care the differences between those 2 hosts as I personally don't like either one of them.

All I basically said was compare the 2.. verify the new host is worth the transfer before doing so. Do your homework and look up reviews on the new host and verify they are reliable and trustworthy.

Bottom line is there is no problem in doing what you want to do.

I pay about $35/yr for each of my 15 domains through one host... and have for years. Would I transfer to another host that offers $15/yr per domain... no. I am completely satisfied with my service.. 24/7 support... questions answered within 5 minutes always... never had a problem with downtime... etc. So for me, it would not be worth it.
    Last edited by hiker; November 8th, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture

may i ask which host do you use?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There are no disadvantages. I would buy the new web hosting package before hostgator runs out and move your files across.

Then I would change the DNS information allowing enough time for the DNS to propagate before your hostgator account runs out - would ensure there is no downtime while you switch hosts.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Definitely no problem if the new host is better than the older and you get a better deal!
  15. No Profile Picture

web hosting

No I dont think so sign up with new host back-up your data from previous server and upload it to the new one.
  17. No Profile Picture

Definitely no problem if the new host is better than the older and you get a better deal!
  19. No Profile Picture

Generally, the major disadvantage of changing web hosts is having to upload your files with your new host and having to change your name servers with your registrar.

If you're not completely satisfied with your current host and want to pay less, moving your site makes sense.
  21. No Profile Picture

Do not move your website unless you face frequent issues or downtime. Because if your new host is worse than the current one then you will end up migrating to many hosts and finally may have to look back to old host itself.
  23. No Profile Picture

Usually there is no harm done, especially when moving between two hosts that both use cPanel. You'll be able to simply migrate your account from one host to another (as your new host about help with this, most will provide it).
  25. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

There are plenty of good web hosts out there. Just do not go for "Unlimited Space/Bandwidth" and do not trust the $35/year offerings, despite that they might work for some people.
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: 90 miles from Chicago; Network: Level 3, Cogent, Internap
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo