Thread: More DNSs

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How can I configure my server to have more than one DNS? Supposing a domain is www.soandso.com, and I want it to have shop.soandso.com and further ones. Anyone can help me?
  3. No Profile Picture
    BrainFreeze

I dont knwo much about DNS but you need a bit of software - if unix try Bind - get the book also DNS Bind search on Amazon, if using NT try metaIP I think its a checkpoint piece of softwaer.

Or maybe you can do something on the server someone else may know that
  5. SwollenMember

What I think you are asking for is pretty simple. If someone else is doing DNS hosting for you then just ask them to add a record for shop.soandso.com. Then you will need to tell them where shop.soandso.com points to (IP). If you are doing the DNS yourself then I would suggest BIND for setting this up. BIND typically has what are called zone files. There will be one zone file for soandso probabally called soandso.db that will allow you to put in more entries for the domain. If you have it on IIS then it is even easier...if you need help, let me know.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Dave Bryant
    Edit the zonefiles usually in /var/named and called something like db.soandso.com or soandso.com.db. Use vi or pico.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">code:</font><HR><pre>
    shop.soandso.com. IN A ip.of.the.machine
    [/code]

It's important to have the shop.soandso.com. end in a period (.) or it gets screwed up, but not the ip. The ip can be something like 220.22.59.13 and you can point multiple names to that same IP if you want to run multiple domains from one server.

Update the serial number, save, exit and restart the name server. Goto linuxhelp.net if you have more curiosity on bind.
    ------------------
    --Dave Bryant
    dbryant@jump.net
    dbryant@waterloobay.com

[This message has been edited by Dave Bryant (edited June 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dave Bryant (edited June 30, 2000).]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo