Thread: EMail hosting

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

EMail hosting

How to people have an eMail address using their own registered domain name such as myname@mydomain.com?
  3. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

Most webhosting providers also provide email.
    Brian Kearney, CEO Stealthy Hosting Inc
    Shared/Reseller/Dedicated Hosting Http://StealthyHosting.com
    Please Contact us for VPS/Colo pricing.
    Email: sales@stealthyhosting.com Phone: 253-880-1233
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm asking technically how is it done? How does a registered domain name get used in an eMail address? I know people who don't use any web hosting services but that still have their own domain and custom eMail addresses. I want to know how that is accomplished.

(I understand what domain name registration is. What I don't understand is how a domain name is incorporated into a custom eMail address.)
    Last edited by toronado455; November 24th, 2009 at 01:49 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    CEO StealthyHosting

You point the domain to a server via nameservers, newly registered domains usually use the domainr egistrars nameservers and most registrars offer email service for $3/month. If you point it to a webhosting account/server then the domain will point tot hat server and when mail is sent to the domain->DNS->Server IP then them email arives at the server... A domain name is only an easy way to point to an IP/Server for example http://216.18.232.21 is the same as http://StealthyHosting.com, StealthyHosting.com points to NS1.StealthyHosting.com/NS2.StealthyHosting.com Nameservers are assighned an IP address so any domains that point to that nameserver will go to that servers IP address.

Complicated but simple.

Found a cool article that may help you http://www.agencybyte.com/2007/02/16...plain-english/
    Brian Kearney, CEO Stealthy Hosting Inc
    Shared/Reseller/Dedicated Hosting Http://StealthyHosting.com
    Please Contact us for VPS/Colo pricing.
    Email: sales@stealthyhosting.com Phone: 253-880-1233
  9. Permanently Banned

There are email hosting, that's better to use it to satisfy your needs.
  11. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

To explain the basics of how it works:
    You send an email from you@aol.com to dan@maniacdan.com.

AOL sees the "TO" email is @maniacdan.com and simply looks up the address to maniacdan.com.

Once it finds it, AOL initiates a TCP connection to maniacdan.com on port 53, and says "here is an email for your user named 'dan'"

My mail server then takes the email and puts it in my inbox.

Easy-peasy.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

You can register the domain you need like xyz.com for example and if you consider a hosting package with it which allows you to have email accounts, you can create an email account like you @ xyz.com (without spaces)
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Carl Owen
    You can register the domain you need like xyz.com for example and if you consider a hosting package with it which allows you to have email accounts, you can create an email account like you @ xyz.com (without spaces)
    Absolutely agree. You need to do the following.
    1. Find web hosting company (I recommend pinellashosting.com)
    2. After getting details about your web hosting account in your Cpanel find "Mail accounts"
    3. Click to add
    4. Follow instructions
    Good luck

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo