1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

What's your need?

Can see you also linked to VPS offers, something one of the basic package doesn't fulfil?
  5. A Change of Season

I want shell access along with C panel (which these guys don't have).

I wanna be able to set up Apache, virtual hosts etc.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It looks expensive to me, but my perspective isn't that great because I don't live in Australia. USD is worth slightly more than AUD right now, it looks like you have some sort of tax on hosting that we don't have here, and it's very likely that bandwidth is significantly cheaper in the US for geographic reasons.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I used VPS from "tektonic" for $15 per month and also played with some local provider (firstvds.ru) which has plans for $5 per months.

I would say that for basic purposes the average of $10 per month is ok for VPS.

Though I'm not sure why you need VPS instead of shared hosting etc. You avoid explaining your goals and that is why you are unlikely to get good answers, I'm sorry
    CodeAbbey - programming problems for novice coders
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Tektonic is a great provider in my opinion, I've had a VPS with them for about 7 years. One major difference though is that Tektonic's VPSs are unmanaged, while Quadra's are fully managed. $200/mo for a fully managed server is a pretty standard starting price point, but the plans Quadra lists don't offer very much as far as resources go (and the overage charge for bandwidth is insane, but for all I know that could be normal for Australian providers).

If you're just looking for a test or development system then you would be fine with an unmanaged system (and it will be substantially cheaper). If you're looking to set up a production system though, I think that choosing a managed solution is the best approach for you.
    PHP FAQ

Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Tektonic is a great provider in my opinion, I've had a VPS with them for about 7 years. One major difference though is that Tektonic's VPSs are unmanaged, while Quadra's are fully managed. $200/mo for a fully managed server is a pretty standard starting price point, but the plans Quadra lists don't offer very much as far as resources go (and the overage charge for bandwidth is insane, but for all I know that could be normal for Australian providers).

If you're just looking for a test or development system then you would be fine with an unmanaged system (and it will be substantially cheaper). If you're looking to set up a production system though, I think that choosing a managed solution is the best approach for you.
    I wanna learn how to install phpmyadmin, cpanel and other soft wares on the server as well. I have some experience with Ubuntu. I like to be able to set virtual hosts etc.

Quadra sorta sucks. They only have email support. No cpanel or shell access either. I sometimes use Racksapce to experience with Apache on Ubuntu and I love it.

E-Oreo, can you please send me a link to a product (any company) that gives me shell access along with support?

Thanks
  15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

If you want managed hosting (support that will handle server configuration for you) you might want to check out Rackspace or MediaTemple. Both of them are pretty well regarded for managed hosting, but you should do some research into them first. I'm not sure if they give you root access or if they have any offerings outside of the US. A lot of managed hosting providers don't like giving root access because if you mess something up they have to fix it. I don't have much experience in this area because I've never used managed hosting where I had root access before.

Unmanaged hosting will give you basic support for hardware and networking issues, but won't do any server configuration work for you. They will always give you root access though. If you want unmanaged hosting I recommend Tektonic.

Another option for unmanaged hosting would be one of the cloud providers (AWS or Rackspace), which would be cheaper if you don't need a system that's up 24/7 (but more expensive if you do). I would stay away from AWS though. In my experience Rackspace's cloud machines are slower, but their support and reliability are both better.

One thing to keep in mind is that cpanel is intended to be a complete server management tool. On a system that has cpanel, if you make software or configuration changes outside of cpanel you could pretty easily break it. You will also pay extra for cpanel because it has to be licensed.

Managed hosting is always going to be substantially more expensive than unmanaged hosting because you're paying for labor (the time of a sysadmin). An experienced sysadmin can easily cost a hosting company $100+ per hour, so you're either going to pay a lot for support or you're not going to get very much of it.

If you want to learn a lot more about sysadmin work, I recommend looking at universities to see if any offer courses in server administration. It sounds like that might align a little better with your goal of learning more about how to do it.
    PHP FAQ

17. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Yes, those in the opening thread are quite expensive compare to the prices in the US market and those in Europe. You;d always find a reasonably priced cPanel VPs or cPanel Shared Hosting. I don't see a problem here. Do you need the web host's servers to be physically located in Australia?
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

VPS? shouldnt you be using cloud services now..
  21. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Only if you have an actual need for very rapid scalability or enjoy paying more for less. A VPS from any half-decent web host will be cheaper and more reliable than an instance you spin up on AWS.
    PHP FAQ

23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i thought (heard) that AWS is very cheap.. :s..
  25. No Profile Picture

They are expensive but there stuff has quality, I used their services for long, there support is fast!
  27. No Profile Picture

Yes it is too expensive. Cloud Hosting is better option .

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo