1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hosting / parking company

Hi guys, I'm new here and I'd like to ask you a question about hosting/parking,

I just bought a portfolio of 150 domain names and I'd like to know if I should park them or should I spend time and efforts to create real websites from them?

Thanks,

Joe
  3. Contributing User

Create a web site.
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

That depends. How much time do you have and how many resources for content for those sites do you have?

If you have enough time to put up the websites, and you can have enough content on each one then sure, go ahead and put them all up. If you don't, then choose the best ones and develop those first, and then the others when you have more time. Most times an actual website will get better results then just a holding/parking page.

Just watch where you're going to host these as well. I can imagine 150 separate hosting accounts would not be cheap, no matter where you go to.
  7. No Profile Picture

Better you create your own websites.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys

Hi Guys, thanks,
    I've started developing some of my domains, I've sold many of them using my domain store and I'm parking the rest.

I'll keep you posted.

BTW - is anyone looking for dentist domains?

Thanks again
    Last edited by hiker; March 5th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture

why would anybody buy 150 domains if they dont no what to use them for?...

seems pointless.?
  13. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by ServerMicro
    why would anybody buy 150 domains if they dont no what to use them for?...
    There's a few reasons for this actually.

Firstly, there's the standard idea of domain squatting where you buy the domains and wait for someone to offers to buy them off you. When most .com names are taken these days, people will try to trade the names they want a lot. it's like investing in anything else. You pay the registration fees and sit back until someone wants to buy from you for the right price.

Secondly, there's a big business in setting up generic domain names with search results and having advertisers pay to be listed on them. I've worked for a place that made a huge amount of money from just type-in traffic. They made enough to pay for around 30 staff plus offices, plus, plus...

Thirdly, link wheels. You buy 100's of domains all with similar industry keywords, set up automated sites that all give pointers back to your main money-making site. This gives the main site lots of inbound links, even though this is frowned upon by most SE's.. but it's still done.

There's also the idea of buying domains that you want. I've done that a few times, and have yet to do anything with the domains. But I own them and I can do something with them one day when I get the time.
  15. No Profile Picture

ok, i just wondered.
  17. They're coming to take me away

And there's the 4th reason: Start a thread about this to get people to inquire. Then spam a site's URL in reference to what you did with it. (As I had to remove the link, I suspect this 4th option is the reason) ... Just sayin'
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo