1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Any hosting recommendation for my case?

Hi. I will be creating a dating site and members will add pics to their profile. It seems the space for VPS are all pretty small. I'm hoping I can draw a lot of traffic to my site and if that's the case will VPS be strong and fast enough to handle lots of traffic?

But dedicated server maybe too hard for me to manage web server, database admin, etc.

Will VPS be good enough for high traffic site? Can you get multiple VPS like one deal with database and one with web apps processing?

Any VPS plan out that that's cheap maybe under $50 that give u more space because the ones I saw out there are like only 30-50GB. How come the shared hosting has unlimited space while VPS has so little?

Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There is almost no difference between managing a VPS and managing a dedicated server. If you don't think you can handle managing a dedicated server it's unlikely that you will be comfortable managing a VPS. If you're not familiar with system administration then I highly recommend that you not manage your own live VPS or dedicated server.

You can certainly buy multiple VPS's and configure them to play different roles. You can configure them however you want, just as if they were dedicated servers.

You won't find VPS plans with massive amounts of space. It's a matter of averages; the average shared web hosting user doesn't use very much space, this allows shared hosting providers to "oversell" disk space. Obviously no web host actually has unlimited space, but they can offer more than they actually have because most people don't take advantage of it. With a VPS or dedicated server the host can't do this; all of the space has to be reserved for your account only.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey just wanted to say that you should check out Hostwinds, we offer full management on our VPS and dedicated servers at no additonal fee, If you know how to use Cpanel then you can use our dedicated servers and our VPS's

Let me know if you need anything else my email is

Peter@hostwinds.com I would happily set you up with a custom campaign
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi. Are there any choice of location for the data center? Where is it? Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by michael_fct
    Hi. Are there any choice of location for the data center? Where is it? Thanks.
    Hostwinds Datacenter's are located in the Dallas Infomart
  11. No Profile Picture

Hello,

I recommend going with a VPS at first, but make sure the provider offers dedicated servers, just in case you need to upgrade.

It may be smart to get a VPS with 30gb to 50gb of disk space and then ask the provider how much it costs for extra disk space. You probably could work out an agreement.

Another option is trying to get a Photobucket account and setup an API so you can store your images on their server.
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi. Thanks. That's a valuable advice. I was actually going to ask about storing images next. If the site is getting alot of traffic then it will be nice to have couple of web server to handle web traffic but then it will be nice to store images in one place instead of your multiple web server.

But do u know any good photobucket service and allow u to put those img tag(which point to them) on my pages. But maybe there will be a bandwidth for loading those img?

But maybe one thing not good is the img files are on 3rd party and they could suspend your account for whatever reason and then I don't have any back up?

Originally Posted by ComfortHosting
    Hello,

I recommend going with a VPS at first, but make sure the provider offers dedicated servers, just in case you need to upgrade.

It may be smart to get a VPS with 30gb to 50gb of disk space and then ask the provider how much it costs for extra disk space. You probably could work out an agreement.

Another option is trying to get a Photobucket account and setup an API so you can store your images on their server.
  15. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Michael,

It looks like you are going to do a lot of work and what you really need is to make sure that the VPS or Dedicated hosting solution comes with an archive backup copy of the data. If you do not have a good budget for hosting, this is not good and might risk your project. I think that it will be very easy to reach a 100 GB data storage and you will need to be able to add physical hard drives (dedicated server) or to scale up the storage (virtual environment). So make sure you have discussed all options with the hosting provider you have chosen.
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor
  17. No Profile Picture

Check at Hillock Hosting they have some good VPS offers plus they are managed VPS.
  19. No Profile Picture

Anyone used these hosting services?

Hi. Anyone used these hosting? It seems they're in my range and looks like it's what I'm looking for.

It would be nice to know anyone who used these ones or other ones that they used it and think it's good.

Hillock Hosting, directspace, wiredtree, myhosting
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you won't meet many problems you need to find good Hosting provider. It should contain: good amount of disk space,ftp accesses, degree of reliability, security and speed of access; 24/7 support, different pricing plans, data transfer.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As you said it seems that managing dedicated server is difficult for you. So you should buy a managed server. If you want to have a fast website you should buy a managed dedicated server and according to my experience, hostgator offers good managed dedicated servers with very good support and in this case, its not needed that you consume your time for managing your server because as you bought a manged server, they will manage it for you.
    Last edited by socialbook; April 6th, 2011 at 02:07 AM.
    Website Value Calculator
    Dofollow Social Bookmarking
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by socialbook
    As you said it seems that managing dedicated server is difficult for you. So you should buy a managed server. If you want to have a fast website you should buy a managed dedicated server and according to my experience, hostgator offers good managed dedicated servers with very good support and in this case, its not needed that you consume your time for managing your server because as you bought a manged server, they will manage it for you.
    Hi What's your site that hosted in there? Can I go to your site and see the speed? Thanks.
  27. No Profile Picture

you should choose a burst net vps #2 plan. In case, you are a newbee and do not know how to harden and manage a server/vps please go for a managed server from servint, they are also offering 50% discount on first month offer.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo